Why are attachments in Outlook not opening to my default/desktop app, only as a preview in Outlook, when updated to Windows 11?

Anonymous
2023-04-27T12:21:33+00:00

I have a few users who recently switched to Windows 11 asking why attachments from outlook won't open on their desktop apps, only as a file preview in Outlook. My users are trying to move through a lot of communications at once, so needing to manually save and reopen the files on their desktop apps is clunky and adding inefficiency their work. The files they need to open also need to be manipulated, so leaving them in Outlook preview won't cut it (approvals, highlights, etc.). Short of reverting my users back to Windows 10, I have not found any other question thread or app setting that works to adjust this.

On Windows 10, double left-clicking an attachment in Outlook pops the "Opening Mail Attachment" window then allows me to open in my default viewer (e.g. a .pdf file will open in Adobe on click for me); in Windows 11, "open" and "always ask before opening this type of file" not selectable (grayed out). I can "save" the documents to my desktop then open them in the default viewer in Windows 11, but not open on click as before. Sorry for not having screen shots - pictures were not loading.

To my knowledge, here were no changes besides updating to Windows 11 (no policy change, no settings change, trust center is the same, etc.).

Outlooks performance with attachments on Windows 10 is much more intuitive and useful to us. What do I need to change to allow users updating to Windows 11 the same performance, or what could be causing this feature of Outlook to not work the same on Windows 11?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-25T19:39:36+00:00

    I toggled back out of 'New Outlook' so I could quickly open attachments in their native apps. En route back to Old Outlook, MS' opened a survey as to why I was reverting, and after I explained why, was rewarded with a note about how MS is considering offering this old functionality in the new version of Outlook. FWIW, I "liked" that news.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-02-01T01:48:57+00:00

    Hi Nada.

    I have an user had the same issue as Ryan met.

    I tried to turn off the previewer in Trust Center as you advice and even change to new Outlook but not working.

    Everytime user open the attachment, it's always open in preview mode. If I turn off preview mode then the file unable to open by double click but need to right click the select Open or Save.

    I even perform Repair online but the issue still persist.

    Wait for your further advice.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-02-15T07:20:27+00:00

    I have the same issue

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-02-15T16:40:09+00:00

    I have the same issue as well. You'd think if this many people complain, they'd do something, but nahhhhhh

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-02-23T16:01:01+00:00

    Same issue, this is annoying and frustrating. Microsoft come on!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments