So idk I'd this will help anyone else... I did the system fle checker command and dism...then I also turned off the aero theme thing. It's the thing that makes program windows and your Taskbar semi see through and after that I never had a problem again.
Windows 11 PC freezes and becomes completely unresponsive when gaming
I recently got a new prebuilt PC, and within a week of redownloading all my files and games from my previous PC, the computer continuously freezes and becomes completely unresponsive when gaming. It happens at random times and seems to differ between games. I have done everything I possibly can to remedy this issue, from scanning and repairing drivers, drives, reseating my GPU and RAM, installing HW monitor to ensure my temps are not skyrocketing and the voltage/wattage is sufficient, going into BIOS to make sure nothing is overclocked and the RAM is set to the correct MHz, running the windows memory diagnostic tool, etc. Everything that has been posted on youtube and other forums, I am almost positive I have tried. Absolutely nothing works and no matter what I do, the freezes keep occurring. The strange thing is when my PC becomes unresponsive, I can still hear my friends continuing to talk in discord but they cannot hear me. I am not sure what else to do about this other than to seek help here or to return the PC and just build another one on my own.
Specs:
RTX Nvidia 4090
13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900k, 3000 Mhz, 24 cores
32.0 GB Kingston 2400 MHz memory DDR4
ASUS PRIME Z790-P WIFI D4
2TB NVme M.2 SSD
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
46 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2023-12-08T04:47:57+00:00 -
Anonymous
2023-12-23T04:15:02+00:00 Same Issue as well. Clean install and all hardware drivers have been updated to the most recent. Freezes are inconsistent sometimes ill freeze for 15 seconds, other times only for a few seconds. There are time where I can get away with a 3 hour gaming session, other times ill freeze while typing in discord or opening a new chrome tab to search something. I already ran DISM and tried Disk Cleanup. Had no issues with Windows 10, but I "upgraded" to Windows 11 to get used to it before October 2025.
6600 XT
I5-12400
32 GB T-FORCE DARK Za 3600 MHz DDR4
MSI PRO B660M-A WIFI
1TB NVMe
EDIT: Downgraded back to windows 10, no issues persist.
-
Anonymous
2024-01-31T20:07:28+00:00 Same problem for me too... Just upgrade from Win10 Pro to Win11 Pro yesterday... Freeze 2 times already... it happens randomly... When freeze, cannot do anything, cannot reset or reboot... Have to turn off switch from the power supply...
-
Anonymous
2024-02-07T17:52:33+00:00 I am having the same issue , windows 11 randomly freezes on my main screen . my cursor moves and i can click things , but it is not visible , resetting the graphic drivers fixes my issue , ( win+ ctrl + shift +b )
-
Anonymous
2024-02-12T06:30:26+00:00 Same problem with Windows 11, freezing. Microsoft, What's the fix?