Windows 11 PC freezes and becomes completely unresponsive when gaming

Anonymous
2023-05-15T05:16:23+00:00

I recently got a new prebuilt PC, and within a week of redownloading all my files and games from my previous PC, the computer continuously freezes and becomes completely unresponsive when gaming. It happens at random times and seems to differ between games. I have done everything I possibly can to remedy this issue, from scanning and repairing drivers, drives, reseating my GPU and RAM, installing HW monitor to ensure my temps are not skyrocketing and the voltage/wattage is sufficient, going into BIOS to make sure nothing is overclocked and the RAM is set to the correct MHz, running the windows memory diagnostic tool, etc. Everything that has been posted on youtube and other forums, I am almost positive I have tried. Absolutely nothing works and no matter what I do, the freezes keep occurring. The strange thing is when my PC becomes unresponsive, I can still hear my friends continuing to talk in discord but they cannot hear me. I am not sure what else to do about this other than to seek help here or to return the PC and just build another one on my own.

Specs:

RTX Nvidia 4090

13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900k, 3000 Mhz, 24 cores

32.0 GB Kingston 2400 MHz memory DDR4

ASUS PRIME Z790-P WIFI D4

2TB NVme M.2 SSD

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-10-26T00:17:54+00:00

    I had to rollback the AMD driver 2 versions and the freezing issue went away. According to Reddit, the freezing is a known issue that AMD haven't bothered to fix yet

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-11-01T20:57:37+00:00

    What AMD driver are you referring to? Chipset? GPU? Been fighting this issue myself for the better part of 2 months. Any help would be wonderful.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-11-05T05:03:52+00:00

    I am having the same exact proble. I recently updated from Windows 10 which I had no problems and am now running windows 11 and am having the same exact problem. Complete unresponsive, i can hear everyone in discord fine but I can't even get the task manager to come up properly. End up having to pull the plug, cpu and gpu not overheating and other than rolling back to windows 10 I am at a loss of what to do. Mainly happens when gaming.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-11-30T08:52:41+00:00

    Same problem. For no reason the system completely freezes. Happens every few days. Just now: doing nothing particular (browsing web, excel and outlook open). Nothing in the event logs, except that a hard reset was done (windows did not properly shut down). Never ever had this problem on win10 on the same hardware. Only thing to do is a hard reset (keyboard input isnt working either).

    System is always fully up to date. Fairly beefy system specs:

    Device name I9-PC

    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900KF CPU @ 3.60GHz

    Installed RAM 16,0 GB

    Asus Nvidia RTX 2060

    Widescreen monitor.

    I hope this freeze bug is found and fixed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-12-08T04:34:09+00:00

    Same exact Issue with me. Built a new gaming rig and transitioned my current gaming rig into my work from home rig. This machine ran flawlessly on Windows 10 for 4 years. Only change was wiping it clean (not just an upgrade) and installing Windows 11 and I now have 3 monitors instead of 1.

    locks up at random , usually with frozen audio. doesn't matter what is open. could be everyday or once every 3 days. Very annoying

    Intel Core i9 9900K

    ASUS PRIME Z390-A

    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments