Windows 11 PC freezes and becomes completely unresponsive when gaming

Anonymous
2023-05-15T05:16:23+00:00

I recently got a new prebuilt PC, and within a week of redownloading all my files and games from my previous PC, the computer continuously freezes and becomes completely unresponsive when gaming. It happens at random times and seems to differ between games. I have done everything I possibly can to remedy this issue, from scanning and repairing drivers, drives, reseating my GPU and RAM, installing HW monitor to ensure my temps are not skyrocketing and the voltage/wattage is sufficient, going into BIOS to make sure nothing is overclocked and the RAM is set to the correct MHz, running the windows memory diagnostic tool, etc. Everything that has been posted on youtube and other forums, I am almost positive I have tried. Absolutely nothing works and no matter what I do, the freezes keep occurring. The strange thing is when my PC becomes unresponsive, I can still hear my friends continuing to talk in discord but they cannot hear me. I am not sure what else to do about this other than to seek help here or to return the PC and just build another one on my own.

Specs:

RTX Nvidia 4090

13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900k, 3000 Mhz, 24 cores

32.0 GB Kingston 2400 MHz memory DDR4

ASUS PRIME Z790-P WIFI D4

2TB NVme M.2 SSD

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-10-23T15:28:49+00:00

    I'd thought the "New Teams" was my issue but it started up again.

    I updated my video drivers (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060Ti) and it got worse. Uninstalled those drivers and it's gotten a little better. Ran all day yesterday but last night froze up twice and was froze up again when I got up this morning. Beginning to wonder if it has something to do with the new MS updates and my video card.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-10-23T22:38:51+00:00

    My w11 PC has been doing the same thing. I saw the fix was to restart explorer.exe. This usually fixes it, but most times I can't even get task manager to run to restart explorer.exe or to reboot the PC. Even set up a macro to restart explorer.exe, but I rarely can even click on it. I've been using computers since the 1980's and worked in IT for 12 years, and I've never seen this before.

    I've tried all the fixes posted here and more. Nothing fixes it. I'm going to replace the M2 drive and do a fresh re-install to see if that helps. Microsoft, please fix your OS.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-10-24T19:25:34+00:00

    Thank you for your reply, Dennis. In my case, the freeze was complete, so no restarting explorer.exe or any other action apart from a hard reset was possible. The culprit was a recently updated Nvidia GPU driver. After I went back to a previous driver, these annoying freezes stopped completely.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-10-24T19:46:16+00:00

    That's something I haven't tried. I updated the Nvidia driver after this started, I'll try going back 2 updates

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-10-25T16:29:34+00:00

    Having the same issue. What version of the Nvidia GPU driver were you using and what did you role back to? I understand this will be dependent on whatever driver you have.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments