Windows 11 PC freezes and becomes completely unresponsive when gaming

Anonymous
2023-05-15T05:16:23+00:00

I recently got a new prebuilt PC, and within a week of redownloading all my files and games from my previous PC, the computer continuously freezes and becomes completely unresponsive when gaming. It happens at random times and seems to differ between games. I have done everything I possibly can to remedy this issue, from scanning and repairing drivers, drives, reseating my GPU and RAM, installing HW monitor to ensure my temps are not skyrocketing and the voltage/wattage is sufficient, going into BIOS to make sure nothing is overclocked and the RAM is set to the correct MHz, running the windows memory diagnostic tool, etc. Everything that has been posted on youtube and other forums, I am almost positive I have tried. Absolutely nothing works and no matter what I do, the freezes keep occurring. The strange thing is when my PC becomes unresponsive, I can still hear my friends continuing to talk in discord but they cannot hear me. I am not sure what else to do about this other than to seek help here or to return the PC and just build another one on my own.

Specs:

RTX Nvidia 4090

13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900k, 3000 Mhz, 24 cores

32.0 GB Kingston 2400 MHz memory DDR4

ASUS PRIME Z790-P WIFI D4

2TB NVme M.2 SSD

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-12-23T04:15:02+00:00

    Same Issue as well. Clean install and all hardware drivers have been updated to the most recent. Freezes are inconsistent sometimes ill freeze for 15 seconds, other times only for a few seconds. There are time where I can get away with a 3 hour gaming session, other times ill freeze while typing in discord or opening a new chrome tab to search something. I already ran DISM and tried Disk Cleanup. Had no issues with Windows 10, but I "upgraded" to Windows 11 to get used to it before October 2025.

    6600 XT

    I5-12400

    32 GB T-FORCE DARK Za 3600 MHz DDR4

    MSI PRO B660M-A WIFI

    1TB NVMe

    EDIT: Downgraded back to windows 10, no issues persist.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-11-30T08:52:41+00:00

    Same problem. For no reason the system completely freezes. Happens every few days. Just now: doing nothing particular (browsing web, excel and outlook open). Nothing in the event logs, except that a hard reset was done (windows did not properly shut down). Never ever had this problem on win10 on the same hardware. Only thing to do is a hard reset (keyboard input isnt working either).

    System is always fully up to date. Fairly beefy system specs:

    Device name I9-PC

    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900KF CPU @ 3.60GHz

    Installed RAM 16,0 GB

    Asus Nvidia RTX 2060

    Widescreen monitor.

    I hope this freeze bug is found and fixed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-11-01T20:57:37+00:00

    What AMD driver are you referring to? Chipset? GPU? Been fighting this issue myself for the better part of 2 months. Any help would be wonderful.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-10-20T21:38:02+00:00

    Exactly, same thing for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-05-15T07:54:33+00:00

    Hello Cole,

    My name is Hanem, an independent advisor, and I'm here to help you.

    I'm sorry that you are experiencing this issue, and I will try my best to assist you.

    I am a gamer too and I am sure that your system met the system requirements. I was able to see here as well that all of the troubleshooting steps are already performed and if this is a software related it should already fix the issue. Have you tried reinstalling the computer operating system? If yes, the issue might be on the hardware itself.

    Additional troubleshooting, you can perform clean boot to disable all possible services that freezes your computer: https://support.microsoft.com/topic/how-to-perf...

    You can also perform an in-place upgrade that will reset/refresh how the system works without removing any of your files and application:

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

    I hope this helps, feel free to contact me for any further questions.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments