Is KB5026372 causing an issue with VPN connections?

Anonymous
2023-05-19T12:42:04+00:00

We have a number of users that have had recent updates of KB5026372 and this has seemingly stopped their VPNs from connecting (loses connection instantly as soon as VPN connected, no more internet access), we use L2TP/IPsec with pre shared key. We have troubleshooted this with the network team, but nothing has changed and they are confident its not an issue caused by us. I have uninstalled KB5026372 on my machine, which had the issue also and then VPN works. Issue we have here is that our updates are handled automatically and it will pull down the updates again and install. Only solution is to pause updates for a set period of time in the hope that this gets resolved in a future update.

Has anyone else reported these issues? I have seen a few articles online regarding this and slowness of some VPNs after the update (which i had before it eventually just stopped working), but no solution other than uninstall.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-05-19T13:20:43+00:00

Hello! My name is Mostafa, and I will try my best to assist you with this so that you find a satisfactory solution.

I’m sorry that you are experiencing this issue. Yes, many users have been reports of VPN connection issues after installing KB5026372. The update is causing problems with VPN connections, especially L2TP/IPSec VPNs.

If your updates are handled automatically, and it will pull down the updates again and install, you can pause updates for a set period in the hope that this gets resolved in a future update.

Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update to pause Windows Update. You can click Pause updates for seven days to block updates for a week; extending this time by clicking again later is possible.

Review the below article.

https://www.windowslatest.com/2023/05/13/window...

If the above steps do not help, reach out to me, and I will be happy to help and try my best to resolve your issue. Thank you.

Best,

Mostafa

__________________________________________________

Disclaimer - There is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before downloading and installing it.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-06-28T20:50:07+00:00

    Just to check, did you start the service manually and then set to automatic start? I noticed seeing to automatic and just restarting didn't make the service start after the restart for some reason.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-06-28T21:59:24+00:00

    I enabled it and set it to start "Automatically" but it didn't seem to start after logon. I went back in and changed that to "Delayed Start" and it's worked at least 10 times in a row (after each reboot)... just need to wait a bit after logging on. That was all on one laptop though.

    Thanks everyone! And good luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-06-28T22:07:37+00:00

    I seet it to automatic. but maybe I'll try the "delayed start"

    starting automatically did not fix anything for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-07-05T22:41:32+00:00

    You sir are a genius. Enabling Routing and Remote Access worked like a champ. VPNs are screaming again. Many thanks, our team has been breaking thier heads on this one

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments