Is KB5026372 causing an issue with VPN connections?

Anonymous
2023-05-19T12:42:04+00:00

We have a number of users that have had recent updates of KB5026372 and this has seemingly stopped their VPNs from connecting (loses connection instantly as soon as VPN connected, no more internet access), we use L2TP/IPsec with pre shared key. We have troubleshooted this with the network team, but nothing has changed and they are confident its not an issue caused by us. I have uninstalled KB5026372 on my machine, which had the issue also and then VPN works. Issue we have here is that our updates are handled automatically and it will pull down the updates again and install. Only solution is to pause updates for a set period of time in the hope that this gets resolved in a future update.

Has anyone else reported these issues? I have seen a few articles online regarding this and slowness of some VPNs after the update (which i had before it eventually just stopped working), but no solution other than uninstall.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-05-19T13:20:43+00:00

Hello! My name is Mostafa, and I will try my best to assist you with this so that you find a satisfactory solution.

I’m sorry that you are experiencing this issue. Yes, many users have been reports of VPN connection issues after installing KB5026372. The update is causing problems with VPN connections, especially L2TP/IPSec VPNs.

If your updates are handled automatically, and it will pull down the updates again and install, you can pause updates for a set period in the hope that this gets resolved in a future update.

Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update to pause Windows Update. You can click Pause updates for seven days to block updates for a week; extending this time by clicking again later is possible.

Review the below article.

https://www.windowslatest.com/2023/05/13/window...

If the above steps do not help, reach out to me, and I will be happy to help and try my best to resolve your issue. Thank you.

Best,

Mostafa

__________________________________________________

Disclaimer - There is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before downloading and installing it.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-07-06T16:52:10+00:00

    Thanks,

    I don’t know what specific conditions have to be met for the many posted workarounds/hacks to be successful. I have a Microsoft Surface Laptop 3, a Microsoft Surface Pro tablet, and a HP Elitebook 840 Laptop in my household and all running Windows 11 Pro. L2TP VPN worked fine on all of them prior to the Microsoft patches that broke it. I have tried all of the following but nothing has worked so far:

    1. Installed Wireshark and rebooted, tried VPN with both Wireshark running and not running - VPN problems remain.
    2. Uninstalled Wireshark, rebooted, installed Glasswire, rebooted, and tried VPN - VPN problems remain.
    3. Tried a USB to Ethernet wired connection on all 3 laptops by disabling wifi - VPN problems remain.
    4. Tried Microsoft Dock 2 with both Surface devices using wired Ethernet connection (wifi disabled) - VPN problems remain.
    5. Tried wired connection by disconnecting wifi but keeping it enabled - VPN problems remain.
    6. Tried the Routing and Remote Access service by enabling it and starting it manually, automatically, delayed start, and multiple reboots - VPN problems remain.
    7. Wiped clean both Microsoft devices, yesterday, and installed Windows 11 from scratch, updated to the most current patches - VPN problems remain.
    8. Tried all of the suggested workarounds/hacks on the freshly installed devices - VPN problems remain.

    I’m convinced that people who are seeing success with various hacks have something different on their Windows 11 computers that is helping them in this case.

    VPN server works since it still runs the same config as before and all Apple devices connect to it using same L2TP config as before.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-07-06T19:47:21+00:00

    I'm not sure what's going on, but so far I've had 100% success with enabling Routing and Remote Access Services... I enable, set to Delayed Start, Start the Service, Reboot, wait one minute, go back into services and re-apply those settings if it's not started, rebooting again, waiting that minute, and then connecting to VPN. Connection stays solid and fast on each machine I've tried this on so far.

    This is the only thing that has worked for me (other than uninstalling the original, broken, KB5026372 and Pausing updates).

    I wish everyone well and I WISH MICROSOFT WOULD FIX WHAT THEY BROKE! It's been 2 Months!

    Thanks everyone :)

    Andy Craig

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-07-06T20:03:26+00:00

    I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse here but I believe the steps are important...

    1.) Set "Routing and Remote Access" Startup type to "Automatic Delayed Start" And Click "APPLY"

    2.) START the Service

    3.) Reboot

    4.) Logon and Wait 1 minute before clicking on anything.

    5.) Check to see if the "Routing and Remote Access" Service has indeed started on its own.

     \* If so, Connect to VPN, wait 30 seconds, confirm full functionality
    
     \*\* If not, Repeat Steps 1-4 (Precisely) and try again
    

    Best of Luck - These steps worked for me numerous times from numerous remote locations and devices.

    Thanks everyone,

    Andy Craig

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-07-13T11:22:35+00:00

    I just installed July's CU (KB5028185) and tested and the VPN issue is still present.

    Can also confirm enabling Routing and Remote Access worked for me and another user while testing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments