Is KB5026372 causing an issue with VPN connections?

Anonymous
2023-05-19T12:42:04+00:00

We have a number of users that have had recent updates of KB5026372 and this has seemingly stopped their VPNs from connecting (loses connection instantly as soon as VPN connected, no more internet access), we use L2TP/IPsec with pre shared key. We have troubleshooted this with the network team, but nothing has changed and they are confident its not an issue caused by us. I have uninstalled KB5026372 on my machine, which had the issue also and then VPN works. Issue we have here is that our updates are handled automatically and it will pull down the updates again and install. Only solution is to pause updates for a set period of time in the hope that this gets resolved in a future update.

Has anyone else reported these issues? I have seen a few articles online regarding this and slowness of some VPNs after the update (which i had before it eventually just stopped working), but no solution other than uninstall.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-05-19T13:20:43+00:00

Hello! My name is Mostafa, and I will try my best to assist you with this so that you find a satisfactory solution.

I’m sorry that you are experiencing this issue. Yes, many users have been reports of VPN connection issues after installing KB5026372. The update is causing problems with VPN connections, especially L2TP/IPSec VPNs.

If your updates are handled automatically, and it will pull down the updates again and install, you can pause updates for a set period in the hope that this gets resolved in a future update.

Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update to pause Windows Update. You can click Pause updates for seven days to block updates for a week; extending this time by clicking again later is possible.

Review the below article.

https://www.windowslatest.com/2023/05/13/window...

If the above steps do not help, reach out to me, and I will be happy to help and try my best to resolve your issue. Thank you.

Best,

Mostafa

__________________________________________________

Disclaimer - There is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before downloading and installing it.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-07-14T12:23:35+00:00

    Also just to note, installed "2023-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5028185)" the other day - it disabled the "Routing and Remote Access" service 😠

    After re-enabling it with automatic start, it didn't start. I noticed this had a dependency on the "Remote Access Connection Manager" service, - that was also disabled, so I set both to automatic start (Note it doesn't need to be delayed start on either of the two services), then manually started both services and it has once again been fine since (and auto starts fine).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-07-13T21:48:20+00:00

    OK,,, I tried your solution again. and this time it appears to be working.... This is REALLY weird. but, it does appear to have fixed the issue on my computer. now I have to try it on other computers and see if it fixes it on them.

    1.) Set "Routing and Remote Access" Startup type to "Automatic Delayed Start" And Click "APPLY"

    2.) START the Service

    3.) Reboot

    4.) Logon and Wait 1 minute before clicking on anything.

    5.) Check to see if the "Routing and Remote Access" Service has indeed started on its own.

    * If so, Connect to VPN, wait 30 seconds, confirm full functionality

    ** If not, Repeat Steps 1-4 (Precisely) and try again

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-07-13T20:42:49+00:00

    Can confirm that this patch does not fix the issue. We observe that only a handful of users is affected and only autoconnect is not working correctly. Manually connecting works on our W11 clients.

    I just saw the release-notes for the Preview-Channel (Only W10 though..)

    "This update addresses an issue that might affect some VPN clients. They might not establish a connection."
    Releasing Windows 10 Build 19045.3269 to Release Preview Channel | Windows Insider Blog

    Guess we will have to wait until next month :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-07-06T19:47:21+00:00

    I'm not sure what's going on, but so far I've had 100% success with enabling Routing and Remote Access Services... I enable, set to Delayed Start, Start the Service, Reboot, wait one minute, go back into services and re-apply those settings if it's not started, rebooting again, waiting that minute, and then connecting to VPN. Connection stays solid and fast on each machine I've tried this on so far.

    This is the only thing that has worked for me (other than uninstalling the original, broken, KB5026372 and Pausing updates).

    I wish everyone well and I WISH MICROSOFT WOULD FIX WHAT THEY BROKE! It's been 2 Months!

    Thanks everyone :)

    Andy Craig

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments