I had this problem (repeatedly stuck at 98%) on my Dell tablet. I was able to get past the 98% screen by doing a hard power off, and then accessing the pre-boot diagnostics. (The method to do this may vary between devices, sometimes it's the F2 function key at a particular point in the power on sequence.) There was a selection in my power on diagnostics to uninstall the last update. But this didn't work because the offending update didn't completely install. Duh! Another option was to restore the tablet to a saved restore point. Luckily for me, there was a restore point dated July 15th that worked. It took many trial and error attempts to work this out because sometimes I mis-timed the power up sequence and ended up back on the 98% update screen. Also, I never use the pre-boot diagnostics otherwise, so it took repeated attempts through its menus to find the tool that eventually worked. I also had to connect a keyboard at one point to be able to put in the admin password. Somewhere in the process I saw a notification that the update failure yielded an error code of 0x800F0841. I found a helpful site for this error: https://www.minitool.com/news/0x800f0841.html. The sfc /scannow command reported that it fixed some corrupted files. But that was already after the system restore fixed the 98% problem. Finally, I paused updates for 7 days but I'm fearful of a repeat failure when THIS update must eventually be installed.
Cumulative updates for Windows 10 and Windows 11 - July 2023
The following release notes coincide with Cumulative updates for all the supported versions of Windows, released on 11th July, 2023.
Windows 11
Windows 11 22H2:
July 11, 2023—KB5028185 (OS Build 22621.1992) - Microsoft Support
Improvements
This security update includes improvements that were a part of update KB5027303 (released June 27, 2023). When you install this KB:
- This update makes miscellaneous security improvements to internal OS functionality. No additional issues were documented for this release.
Download links to be available shortly.
Windows 11 (original release):
July 11, 2023—KB5028182 (OS Build 22000.2176) - Microsoft Support
Improvements
This security update includes improvements that were a part of update KB5027292 (released June 27, 2023). When you install this KB:
- This update makes miscellaneous security improvements to internal OS functionality. No additional issues were documented for this release.
Download links to be available shortly.
Windows 10
Windows 10 22H2:
July 11, 2023—KB5028166 (OS Builds 19044.3208 and 19045.3208) - Microsoft Support
Highlights
- This update addresses security issues for your Windows operating system.
If you installed earlier updates, only the new updates in this package would be downloaded and installed on your device.
https://twitter.com/WindowsUpdate/status/1635692351996801059
��Resources
• Learn about the different types of monthly updates: https://msft.it/6017eRKoX
• Find resources, tools, and news about known issues and safeguards: https://msft.it/6016eRKon
• Have an issue? File feedback to our engineers: https://msft.it/6018eRKok
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
55 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2023-08-06T15:31:07+00:00 -
Anonymous
2023-08-06T16:59:25+00:00 You can go into the Windows Update settings and pause updates or turn them off for up to 30 days. Just curious if you have a Ralink wifi/bluetooth adapter on your computer? It seems that Microsoft hasn't renewed the security certificate for this adapter and that is causing bluetooth to be turned off with this update. I had to purchase a new bluetooth adapter to be able to install the update and allow bluetooth functionality to be turned on.
I haven't had the problem of the stuck installation so I just wondered if there is any relation to that and the Ralink adapter.
Good luck in your quest.
-
Anonymous
2023-08-07T11:09:31+00:00 KB5028245 update messes up L2TP VPN connection as well.
At this stage, I'll just skip all the future cumulative updates, as Microsoft's incompetence regarding this issue is just infuriating.
-
Deleted
This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.
Comments have been turned off. Learn more
-
Sumit 44,436 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator2023-08-08T17:12:55+00:00