Can't uninstall Power Toys

Reported
Anonymous
2023-06-02T22:03:29+00:00

I had trouble updating Power Toys, so I downloaded the installer. The installer won't work because Power Toys is already installed. However, it doesn't show up in my app list, so an uninstaller can't find it. I tried to restore the system from a disc image, but that didn't even get started. How can I get out of this situation?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Microsoft Store

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-06-03T15:04:34+00:00

    Now, I can't even open PowerShell; I get the message below. I've already run sfc and dism, but they didn't help. I'll run chkdsk and see what happens.

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-06-03T15:49:28+00:00

    Roger, please try to run Powershell by right clicking on Start button, then select run. In the run dialog box type powershell.exe and select the ok button.

    Let me know if that works.

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-06-03T16:04:27+00:00

    It requires elevation. Also, how do I reconnect PowerShell with the right-click menu? It doesn't show up in the App list.

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-06-03T18:15:20+00:00

    Hi, Roger. Please, using the File explorer, go to %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu folder. Here a Powershell shortcut must exists.

    Check it properties. The target must be %SystemRoot%\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe

    Let me know if you need anything else.

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-06-03T19:13:18+00:00

    I found the link, pasted the .ps1 text and hit enter. The prompt came right back. Did I do it correctly? Also, I saved a copy of the link to my desktop; is there any way to connect that link with the right-click menu, or should I try a repair install to fix the problem?

    I also tried to reinstall Power Toys and got the same response as before. What do I do next?

    0 comments No comments