Can't uninstall Power Toys

Reported
Anonymous
2023-06-02T22:03:29+00:00

I had trouble updating Power Toys, so I downloaded the installer. The installer won't work because Power Toys is already installed. However, it doesn't show up in my app list, so an uninstaller can't find it. I tried to restore the system from a disc image, but that didn't even get started. How can I get out of this situation?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Microsoft Store

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-06-03T16:04:27+00:00

    It requires elevation. Also, how do I reconnect PowerShell with the right-click menu? It doesn't show up in the App list.

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-06-03T15:49:28+00:00

    Roger, please try to run Powershell by right clicking on Start button, then select run. In the run dialog box type powershell.exe and select the ok button.

    Let me know if that works.

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-06-03T15:04:34+00:00

    Now, I can't even open PowerShell; I get the message below. I've already run sfc and dism, but they didn't help. I'll run chkdsk and see what happens.

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-06-03T14:03:51+00:00

    Thanks, Roger. Let's use another way.

    Open a Powershell console. Administrator mode is not required because all of these commands are related to your user. Type CLS and press the enter key. Next paste the following commands. Powershell will require a confirmation to paste the content:

    $SettingsPath = $Env:LOCALAPPDATA + '\Microsoft\PowerToys'

    if (Test-Path -Path $SettingsPath -PathType Any)

    {

    Remove-Item -Path $SettingsPath -Recurse
    

    }

    $SuperFancyZones = "HKCU:\Software\SuperFancyZones"

    if (Test-Path -Path $SuperFancyZones -PathType Any)

    {

    Remove-Item -Path $SuperFancyZones -Recurse
    

    }

    $PowerRename = "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\PowerRename"

    if (Test-Path -Path $PowerRename -PathType Any)

    {

    Remove-Item -Path $PowerRename -Recurse
    

    }

    $ImageResizer = "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\ImageResizer"

    if (Test-Path -Path $ImageResizer -PathType Any)

    {

    Remove-Item -Path $ImageResizer -Recurse
    

    }

    $DontShowThisDialogAgain = "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DontShowMeThisDialogAgain{e16ea82f-6d94-4f30-bb02-d6d911588afd}"

    if (Test-Path -Path $DontShowThisDialogAgain -PathType Any)

    {

    Remove-Item -Path $DontShowThisDialogAgain
    

    }

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-06-03T13:40:33+00:00

    Still no luck:

    0 comments No comments