Can't uninstall Power Toys

Reported
Anonymous
2023-06-02T22:03:29+00:00

I had trouble updating Power Toys, so I downloaded the installer. The installer won't work because Power Toys is already installed. However, it doesn't show up in my app list, so an uninstaller can't find it. I tried to restore the system from a disc image, but that didn't even get started. How can I get out of this situation?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Microsoft Store

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-06-04T23:43:54+00:00

    You can take the file's ownership by following the following procedure:

    Open CMD console as administrator then paste the following command:

    Takeown /f C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowershell\v1.0\powershell.exe

    Try again to delete the file, please.

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-06-04T22:32:20+00:00

    How do I get permission from TrustedInstaller?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-06-04T22:02:49+00:00

    Thanks. Please delete powershell.exe file, then rename powershell_copy.exe file by removing _copy, then verify if Powershell works from the start menu.

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-06-04T21:56:17+00:00

    powershell.exe same error

    powershell_copy.exe works fine

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-06-04T21:25:09+00:00

    Roger. I was reviewing our interaction and saw on your first shared image you were using C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowershell\v1.0\powershell_copy.exe instead of C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowershell\v1.0\powershell.exe

    Did you know why?

    What happen if you go to C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowershell\v1.0\ and run powershell_copy.exe?

    What happen if you go to C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowershell\v1.0\ and run powershell.exe?

    0 comments No comments