I can say with full confidence that this might work for you. Definitely worked for me !
Windows 11 cannot detect second monitor.
I just purchased a new laptop that’s running Windows 11. I am trying to set up duel monitors. When I click ‘Detect’ I get ‘We didn’t find another display’. I am using an HDMI cable to connect the second monitor to my laptop. Both screens work, but they are a mirror image. There’s no way showing to change that setting because the second monitor was not detected. No good.
I set up the second monitor on my main workstation that’s running Windows 10. No problem. Monitor was detected and set as ‘Extended’. Worked fine.
I reviewed everything I could find about this issue. I tried all the suggested fixes. Nothing worked. All available drivers are up to date, etc., etc.
Another thing I tried was hitting the Windows Key + P. That procedure did identify both monitors. In the settings it did show an option to detect the monitors. When I clicked ‘Detect’ it still came back with ‘We didn’t find another display’ I was able to changed the setting to ‘Extended’. I thought I had it working. However, all I get on the second monitor is the background screen, nothing else. No programs show up. I do get the toolbar. But when I click a toolbar link on the main monitor it activates on the second monitor. It’s a mess.
Has anyone had this problem? Is there a fix?
Thank you for any assistance.
Glenn
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Display and graphics
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
51 additional answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Deleted
This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.
Comments have been turned off. Learn more
-
Anonymous
2024-11-24T17:19:21+00:00 I want to share my experience in the hope that it might help someone.
Computer Specs:
- Fujitsu ArrowsTab Q739
- Windows 11 Pro
- Intel Core i5 8365U
- Intel HD Graphics 620
Problem Trigger: I connected my computer to a SHARP TV using HDMI (second screen only). When the battery ran out and I plugged the power cord back in to the computer, it no longer detected the second screen.
Troubleshooting Steps Taken:
- Updated Windows.
- Updated the graphics driver.
- Removed and reinstalled the display adapter and monitor in Device Manager.
- Completely reset the computer.
None of these steps worked.
Ruling Out Hardware Issues: I tested the HDMI cable by connecting it to another TV. The TV detected the connection, but the computer still did not detect the second display.
How I Got It to Work: I used the wireless display (screen mirroring) function. Note that this requires a monitor that supports wireless projection.
Steps:
- Unplug the HDMI cable.
- Open Device Manager and select “Show hidden devices” from the View tab.
- Uninstall the greyed-out monitor.
- Connect wirelessly to the TV (it should display as a duplicate display).
- Go to Advanced Display Settings and change the refresh rate of the second monitor to 50Hz (or 60Hz, though this may not be crucial).
- Reconnect the HDMI cable to the TV.
- Go to Display Settings and click “Detect multiple displays.” The connection should switch from wireless to wired.
This trick seems to alert Windows to the presence of an undetected monitor. Unfortunately, it doesn’t always work. The connection can be lost again if the computer goes to sleep, restarts, or shuts down. The sequence of plugging in the HDMI cable and setting up the wireless display can vary. Sometimes, it even causes my TV to restart during wireless display, leading to a disconnected display. This process can take up to half an hour or more to get working again, which is very frustrating. You have to hope it works each time you want to use it.
Conclusion: From my experience, it’s clear that this is a Windows issue in detecting connected hardware. I urge the developers to take serious action to address this problem.
-
Anonymous
2024-12-02T02:35:40+00:00 - Disable and re-enable the graphics card
- Press the Windows key + X and select Device Manager.
- Expand the "Display Adapters" section.
- Right-click on the graphics card (e.g., NVIDIA GeForce) and select "Disable device".
- Wait for 10 seconds and then enable it again.
Thank you -- this worked for me!
- Disable and re-enable the graphics card
-
Anonymous
2024-12-28T03:36:17+00:00 No, it’s not working for me. The most annoying part of this problem is that the solution varies for each person.