Windows 11 cannot detect second monitor.

Anonymous
2023-06-16T20:50:49+00:00

I just purchased a new laptop that’s running Windows 11. I am trying to set up duel monitors. When I click ‘Detect’ I get ‘We didn’t find another display’.  I am using an HDMI cable to connect the second monitor to my laptop. Both screens work, but they are a mirror image. There’s no way showing to change that setting because the second monitor was not detected. No good.

I set up the second monitor on my main workstation that’s running Windows 10. No problem. Monitor was detected and set as ‘Extended’. Worked fine.

I reviewed everything I could find about this issue. I tried all the suggested fixes. Nothing worked. All available drivers are up to date, etc., etc.

Another thing I tried was hitting the Windows Key + P. That procedure did identify both monitors. In the settings it did show an option to detect the monitors. When I clicked ‘Detect’ it still came back with ‘We didn’t find another display’ I was able to changed the setting to ‘Extended’. I thought I had it working. However, all I get on the second monitor is the background screen, nothing else. No programs show up. I do get the toolbar. But when I click a toolbar link on the main monitor it activates on the second monitor. It’s a mess.

Has anyone had this problem? Is there a fix?

Thank you for any assistance.

Glenn

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Display and graphics

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Reported
Anonymous
2024-12-21T00:49:25+00:00

I can say with full confidence that this might work for you. Definitely worked for me !

0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-11-24T17:19:21+00:00

    I want to share my experience in the hope that it might help someone.

    Computer Specs:

    • Fujitsu ArrowsTab Q739
    • Windows 11 Pro
    • Intel Core i5 8365U
    • Intel HD Graphics 620

    Problem Trigger: I connected my computer to a SHARP TV using HDMI (second screen only). When the battery ran out and I plugged the power cord back in to the computer, it no longer detected the second screen.

    Troubleshooting Steps Taken:

    1. Updated Windows.
    2. Updated the graphics driver.
    3. Removed and reinstalled the display adapter and monitor in Device Manager.
    4. Completely reset the computer.

    None of these steps worked.

    Ruling Out Hardware Issues: I tested the HDMI cable by connecting it to another TV. The TV detected the connection, but the computer still did not detect the second display.

    How I Got It to Work: I used the wireless display (screen mirroring) function. Note that this requires a monitor that supports wireless projection.

    Steps:

    1. Unplug the HDMI cable.
    2. Open Device Manager and select “Show hidden devices” from the View tab.
    3. Uninstall the greyed-out monitor.
    4. Connect wirelessly to the TV (it should display as a duplicate display).
    5. Go to Advanced Display Settings and change the refresh rate of the second monitor to 50Hz (or 60Hz, though this may not be crucial).
    6. Reconnect the HDMI cable to the TV.
    7. Go to Display Settings and click “Detect multiple displays.” The connection should switch from wireless to wired.

    This trick seems to alert Windows to the presence of an undetected monitor. Unfortunately, it doesn’t always work. The connection can be lost again if the computer goes to sleep, restarts, or shuts down. The sequence of plugging in the HDMI cable and setting up the wireless display can vary. Sometimes, it even causes my TV to restart during wireless display, leading to a disconnected display. This process can take up to half an hour or more to get working again, which is very frustrating. You have to hope it works each time you want to use it.

    Conclusion: From my experience, it’s clear that this is a Windows issue in detecting connected hardware. I urge the developers to take serious action to address this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-08-26T00:52:02+00:00

    None of the suggestions were working for me too. This is what I did and it worked for me:

    I have Nvidia GeForce RTX 3050. I downloaded Nividia's Control Panel. In control panel, go to Display & Set up multiple displays. It showed displays and an option to select "My display is not shown" I clicked that and it gave me the option rigoursly find display. This worked for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-06-11T03:40:37+00:00

    If the two monitors are both HDMI, you may not be able to connect them both. One Display Port and one HDMI will work, but two HDMIs may be blocked. I think it has to do with the built-in copy protection in the HDMI standard.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-04-14T14:48:32+00:00

    Hi, I tried hard reset - hold power button on your PC till turn off. This simple solution worked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments