why can't I add tags to video files in windows 10 file explorer

Anonymous
2023-07-21T20:55:28+00:00

For some reason I cannot add tags or edit metadata for videos in Windows 10 file explorer, but I can in Windows 11. Do I have something set incorrectly?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Les Ferch 10,361 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-07-24T16:30:35+00:00

    I appreciate your wanting to help, but this is getting far too complicated and taking too much time. If I really want a file metadata edited I can just import it to my Windows 11 laptop and edit, then export it back. Thanks again for your time.

    Yup, it's frustrating when one problem leads to another. So far, there's nothing serious enough (that was mentioned here) to get worried about, but if you run into further issues with that Windows 10 machine, the Windows in-place repair is always a good non-destructive option to try.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-07-23T20:01:58+00:00

    Windows 10 has VLC installed, Windows 11 does not. Obviously, something in my Windows 10 is not set properly, but what? Same MOV file that I cannot edit in the properties of File Explorer on 10 I can when imported to the Windows 11 laptop. So, I would assume it is not the file. On 10 I cannot edit it in my account or the Administrator account.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Les Ferch 10,361 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-07-21T22:22:45+00:00

    I have mostly MOV and MP4 and am unable to edit the metadata of either. What could I have set one. I can edit in Windows 11, but the majority of my photos on on my Windows 10 machine.

    I don't normally have MOV files, but I just downloaded a sample from here and was able to edit the metadata on Windows 10.

    The issue may be specific to your user profile. Please create a new local user account (make it an administrator), login with that account, and see if you can then edit the metadata. If that works, then we can see if there's a way to fix your account.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-07-21T21:53:58+00:00

    I have mostly MOV and MP4 and am unable to edit the metadata of either. What could I have set one. I can edit in Windows 11, but the majority of my photos on on my Windows 10 machine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Les Ferch 10,361 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-07-21T21:43:47+00:00

    Did you test the same video file?

    File Explorer will allow you to edit the metadata of an MP4 video, but not an MKV video. By default, without any add-ons, that's true on both Windows 10 and Windows 11.

    For MKV files, you may want to try MKVToolNix: https://mkvtoolnix.download/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments