Random stuck / lag in keyboard when playing online

Anonymous
2023-09-25T02:37:42+00:00

My question is almost identical to https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/random-stuck-lag-in-keyboard-when-playing-online/82b20e72-f5c6-456f-96c0-050e7470095d 

except I am using a wired keyboard and having the same input delays.

Random stuck / lag in keyboard when playing online

Hi, I'm desperately opening this thread hoping that someone can help with an annoying problem that I've been experiencing since I bought my new PC. I've found more people on the internet experiencing similar issues so I think this is not exclusive to me, but the problem was never solved. I've done my best to gather as many info as I can to describe the problem properly.

This happens between games such as Overwatch, Valorant ect.

Problem description: I randomly experience a weird lag with keyboard response. This happens with all the keys that involve character actions: W, A, S, D, Ctrl, Spacebar... After some time playing with no issues, keys start getting stuck experiencing a weird, random lag. It can be half a second, or even more than 10 seconds, not a regular thing. To better describe the issue, here's a tedious example:

I keep "W" pressed > Character walks for 3 seconds > Character stops for 1 second > Character starts moving again > He stops again > I stop pressing "W" > Characters stays still > He starts walking again (not because I pressed "W" again, but because the system "remembers" I was pressing "W" for a while after the character stopped) > He stops again > I press "W" and "spacebar" > Character stays still > Character suddenly walks and jump (system remembers that I pressed "W" and "space" a while ago) > Etc.

This happens in a completely random way. Sometimes I play for hours with no issues, sometimes it appears after playing for a while, and sometimes it happens from the beginning. It can last just a few minutes, or it just don't disappear so I have to stop playing for good.

When the problem is happening, it's important to say that mouse keep working perfectly, I can even shoot and kill other players in perfect real time –I've tested it many times, even playing with friends just to make sure–. That's why I know it's not just an internet lag issue.

Other interesting thing is that he "Esc" key, which is used to open the game menu, keeps working perfectly. So it seems that the problem only affects to the keys that involve multiplayer/online functions. Also, if I minimize the game and open any word processor, keys work perfectly.

If I tab out of the game and go to type anywhere the keyboard has no issues. It seems to be load related at times, ie. If I am streaming on discord or watching a video and try playing a game on a different monitor it is bad but if I close everything but the game I am playing it happens much less.

I've been trying all the next things. with no success:

  1. Restarting PC and the game.
  2. Trying with a different keyboard.
  3. Changing the USB to a different port
  4. Increasing and reducing character speed and delay in "Keyboard properties".
  5. Restarting the computer in a "clean way" (disabling as many services and tasks as possible).
  6. Updating drivers of keyboard, motherboard, processor...
  7. Updating Windows.
  8. Making sure to be malware free, anyway I started experiencing the problem even when just Steam was installed, no other software or downloads at all.
  9. Disabling the power saving option in as many hardware and USB ports as possible.

Now my PC specs:

OS: Windows 10 Pro OS Build: 19045.3448 Version: 22H2

Processor: 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K, 3000 Mhz, 24 Core(s), 32 Logical Processor(s)

Graphic card: Name NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB)

Hard drive: 931GB Western Digital WDC WDS100T2B0B-00YS70 (SATA (SSD))

1863GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB (Unknown (SSD))

931GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Unknown (SSD))

Motherboard: Asus Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK WIFI (MS-7D91) (U3E1)

I would be infinitely grateful for any suggestion or idea of whats happening.

Let it be noted that I was experiencing this issue before and with an entirely new build including; new windows install, new motherboard, new cpu, new psu, new gpu, new ram, I am still experiencing the issue.

Thanks in advance!

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-09-25T05:27:44+00:00

    Hi, as an Independent Advisor and Microsoft user, I'd be happy to provide some assistance with the keyboard lag issue you're facing during online gaming. This can indeed be a frustrating issue, especially when it affects your gameplay. I have laid down a number of steps that you might find useful in addressing this problem:

    1. Check for System Resource Usage:
      • High CPU or memory usage can cause delays in input recognition. While gaming, monitor your system’s resource usage through Task Manager to see if any particular process is consuming too many resources.
    2. Game Mode and Full Screen Optimizations:
      • Ensure that the Game Mode is enabled in Windows (Settings > Gaming > Game Mode). Also, check the full-screen optimizations by right-clicking the game executable > Properties > Compatibility tab > Disable Fullscreen Optimizations.
    3. Disable Background Apps:
      • Under Settings > Privacy > Background apps, toggle off the apps you don’t need running in the background while gaming.
    4. Update Graphics Drivers:
      • Ensure that your NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 graphics card driver is up to date. Outdated or corrupt drivers can cause various issues including input lag.
    5. Check Game Settings:
      • Ensure the in-game settings are optimal for your hardware. Sometimes, overly high settings can cause lag.
    6. Check Keyboard Polling Rate:
      • Some gaming keyboards have adjustable polling rates. Check if your keyboard has this feature and try adjusting it.
    7. Network Lag:
      • Even though your mouse works fine, network lag can manifest in strange ways. Ensure you have a stable connection and consider using a wired connection if possible.
    8. Check for Software Conflicts:
      • Certain software can interfere with game input. Make sure there's no conflicting software running in the background.
    9. Clean Boot:
      • Perform a clean boot to eliminate any software conflicts. A clean boot starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs.
    10. Contact Game Support:
      • It may be a known issue with the particular game(s) you're playing. Contacting the game's support with the detailed description as you provided here could provide some insight or solutions.
    11. Keyboard Firmware:
      • Check if your keyboard manufacturer provides firmware updates for your keyboard model.
    12. Check Windows Event Viewer:
      • Look for any warnings or errors around the time the issue occurs, this might give some clue as to what is causing the issue.
    13. Consider Professional Assistance:
      • If all else fails, consider seeking professional help. There might be a hardware or deep-seated software issue that requires professional troubleshooting.

    This is indeed a perplexing issue, especially after having replaced your entire build. The steps above are quite comprehensive but given the nature of the problem, it might require a detailed approach to identify the root cause. I hope one of the suggested steps helps resolve your keyboard lag issue. If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, feel free to ask. Your seamless gaming experience is a priority, and I’m here to help ensure that!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-09-27T01:33:33+00:00

    To answer some of the suggestions here.

    1. Resource allocation shouldn't be an issue, nothing runs on high settings, screenshot attached of average use while gaming.
    2. Game mode has now been enabled which was not before, and games have always been ran in full screen or borderless windowed. Still having issues with both options.
    3. Disabled any unused background apps such as phone, skype, spotify etc.
    4. Drivers are up to date on GPU through Geoforce Experience and this PC has been built for all of about 2 weeks, so OS is up to date as well.
    5. Games run on medium or high settings but similar to 1. nothing high enough that it should be of concern
    6. I've tried adjusting the polling rate and it has no noticeable effect
    7. Connection is a fibre connection at 1.5gbps and about 15-20 ping. In game latency stays constant and doesn't fluctuate usually around 30-40ms.
    8. Since the PC is fairly new there is not a lot of software on it but the apps that I am using include, Jagex Laucher for Runelite, Chrome, Discord, Overwatch, Valorant, Nvidia Software, NZXT Cam. All of these applications have been ran for years with no issue. Issue just starting coming up about 5-6 weeks ago. I attributed it to a failing CPU or Motherboard and started swapping from there.
    9. Clean boot has not been performed as the issue mainly persists when multitasking (ex. streaming a football game while playing a video game)
    10. The issue is apparent across multiple games, Valorant and Overwatch so it is very unlikely to be the games themselves.
    11. Keyboard firmware is up to date. I have tried 3 different keyboards, all different brands, with their respective firmware, with different cables and different USB ports.
    12. There are no events in event viewer that corelate to the issues. In game the issue can persist constantly for a full minute and then disappear for a few and return again. It happens so consistently it makes playing games unplayable.

    Note: The only thing existing between both systems is 2 M.2 drives. The data from these drives will be moved to the cloud and formatted in the next few days.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-12-09T07:46:11+00:00

    I had the same issue and tried pretty much everything. Noticed that when it is happening the NZXT Cam software cpu usage is spiking. So I closed the NZXT Cam software down and so far haven’t had the issue anymore. Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-12-11T15:44:28+00:00

    Did you find a fix for this??

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-01-12T22:36:12+00:00

    Hey, I had the same issue a minute ago.

    I tried everything just like you, it didn't work.

    I tried to reset my pc while keeping files, didn't work.

    Answer: reset you're pc without keeping you're files.

    That did the job for me.

    If I get the issue again you will see me here.

    (Sorry for my bad English)

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments