Random stuck / lag in keyboard when playing online

Anonymous
2023-09-25T02:37:42+00:00

My question is almost identical to https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/random-stuck-lag-in-keyboard-when-playing-online/82b20e72-f5c6-456f-96c0-050e7470095d 

except I am using a wired keyboard and having the same input delays.

Random stuck / lag in keyboard when playing online

Hi, I'm desperately opening this thread hoping that someone can help with an annoying problem that I've been experiencing since I bought my new PC. I've found more people on the internet experiencing similar issues so I think this is not exclusive to me, but the problem was never solved. I've done my best to gather as many info as I can to describe the problem properly.

This happens between games such as Overwatch, Valorant ect.

Problem description: I randomly experience a weird lag with keyboard response. This happens with all the keys that involve character actions: W, A, S, D, Ctrl, Spacebar... After some time playing with no issues, keys start getting stuck experiencing a weird, random lag. It can be half a second, or even more than 10 seconds, not a regular thing. To better describe the issue, here's a tedious example:

I keep "W" pressed > Character walks for 3 seconds > Character stops for 1 second > Character starts moving again > He stops again > I stop pressing "W" > Characters stays still > He starts walking again (not because I pressed "W" again, but because the system "remembers" I was pressing "W" for a while after the character stopped) > He stops again > I press "W" and "spacebar" > Character stays still > Character suddenly walks and jump (system remembers that I pressed "W" and "space" a while ago) > Etc.

This happens in a completely random way. Sometimes I play for hours with no issues, sometimes it appears after playing for a while, and sometimes it happens from the beginning. It can last just a few minutes, or it just don't disappear so I have to stop playing for good.

When the problem is happening, it's important to say that mouse keep working perfectly, I can even shoot and kill other players in perfect real time –I've tested it many times, even playing with friends just to make sure–. That's why I know it's not just an internet lag issue.

Other interesting thing is that he "Esc" key, which is used to open the game menu, keeps working perfectly. So it seems that the problem only affects to the keys that involve multiplayer/online functions. Also, if I minimize the game and open any word processor, keys work perfectly.

If I tab out of the game and go to type anywhere the keyboard has no issues. It seems to be load related at times, ie. If I am streaming on discord or watching a video and try playing a game on a different monitor it is bad but if I close everything but the game I am playing it happens much less.

I've been trying all the next things. with no success:

  1. Restarting PC and the game.
  2. Trying with a different keyboard.
  3. Changing the USB to a different port
  4. Increasing and reducing character speed and delay in "Keyboard properties".
  5. Restarting the computer in a "clean way" (disabling as many services and tasks as possible).
  6. Updating drivers of keyboard, motherboard, processor...
  7. Updating Windows.
  8. Making sure to be malware free, anyway I started experiencing the problem even when just Steam was installed, no other software or downloads at all.
  9. Disabling the power saving option in as many hardware and USB ports as possible.

Now my PC specs:

OS: Windows 10 Pro OS Build: 19045.3448 Version: 22H2

Processor: 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K, 3000 Mhz, 24 Core(s), 32 Logical Processor(s)

Graphic card: Name NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB)

Hard drive: 931GB Western Digital WDC WDS100T2B0B-00YS70 (SATA (SSD))

1863GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB (Unknown (SSD))

931GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Unknown (SSD))

Motherboard: Asus Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK WIFI (MS-7D91) (U3E1)

I would be infinitely grateful for any suggestion or idea of whats happening.

Let it be noted that I was experiencing this issue before and with an entirely new build including; new windows install, new motherboard, new cpu, new psu, new gpu, new ram, I am still experiencing the issue.

Thanks in advance!

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-06-12T18:24:36+00:00

    Yes it would happen to my controller aswell. My keyboard would do that so i tried controller and it did the same thing. Like i said, getting a much stronger PSU solved my issue COMPLETELY. Try upgrading your psu and see it fixes it. Its the cheapest part too so

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-06-12T18:16:26+00:00

    i have this similar issue though i play with controller, at random times my controller inputs like moving the joystick would randomly stick in a direction when i let it go , same with buttons. and its not the controller because i tried 2 other controllers and on different ports. the only time i can fix this is during a restart of my pc. then hope it dont start doing it again. i think it has somthing to do with the performance of my pc all though i shouldnt have any, i have a i7 12700k and a rtx 3080 ti.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-22T10:45:32+00:00

    I am having the same problem even after deleting norton did u find the solution ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-04-05T20:09:11+00:00

    So, i got it again but i found out the real reason this was happening to me.

    I tried installing everything 1 by 1 so i can find out where the probleem is coming from.

    I found out its something to do with nzxt cam and norton for gamers.

    If you close nzxt cam the input delay is gone.

    If you dont want to close nzxt cam (just like me, I didn't get an aio with a screen for nothing) you can go to norton and disable game optimiser.

    That did the trick for me.

    Kind regards

    I read all the solutions and tried them, but nothing worked. I discovered after replacing the keyboard that the problem was not hardware, but software.

    The first thing I did was turn off the Norton antivirus.

    It worked, thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-04-02T08:42:42+00:00

    Yes, but the problem persists even after deleting the program.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments