Turn off tablet mode on windows 11

Anonymous
2023-08-10T22:35:50+00:00

Hi guys, I simply need to turn off the Tablet mode. I have found that Windows has removed that setting in the switch to Windows 11.. Ok I nice when things are intuative and so... but I simply need a way to switch it off. So many times it happens that I slightly shake with the laptop and it starts crazily switching between tablet and normal mode... So I can not use the laptop for some time, the keybord keeps disconecting, icons are disappearion, douchpad disabeling... I spend so much time uselesly moving my screen up and down... people around must be thinking that I am an idiot trying to make a fan from my laptop in this heat... Somewhere I found that I can switch off rotation lock... but guess what.. it is disabled and grey in my settings... when I ask for help, the laptop shows me an easy way to switch the tablet mode in the action centre... great job windows... only that the help shows settings for Windows 10.. I have 11.... Any other idea to solve this problem then buying a MAC??

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-11-04T14:02:02+00:00

    I second this - during the new gaming laptop installation I opted to copy settings/backup from previous laptop that was 2-in-1 and I got new one stuck in tablet/touch mode?! Taskbar settings to remove optimization for touch is functional, but File Explorer does not have anything to get rid of checkboxes next to filenames, and it added virtual keyboard to task bar as well, who knows what else.

    Anyway, this worked for me - regedit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl

    add DWORD key named ConvertibleSlateMode

    add value 1

    No more File Explorer checkboxes, no more virtual keyboard.

    I checked my old 2-in-1 has this key in regedit, new one did not have it since it is probably not needed as it is not touch enabled.

    I say this is a bug in windows installation.

    Hello yes, this WORKED . But as im using a gaming tabet, (asus rog ally) without any inbuilt keyboard. The virtual keyboard is a must for me. So have you found any work around to disable checkboxes without disabling the virtual keyboard?

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-12-19T04:35:25+00:00

    Worked great, thanks!

    I was on a Lenovo Slim 7i with the same problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-12-22T15:56:49+00:00

    I second this - during the new gaming laptop installation I opted to copy settings/backup from previous laptop that was 2-in-1 and I got new one stuck in tablet/touch mode?! Taskbar settings to remove optimization for touch is functional, but File Explorer does not have anything to get rid of checkboxes next to filenames, and it added virtual keyboard to task bar as well, who knows what else.

    Anyway, this worked for me - regedit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl

    add DWORD key named ConvertibleSlateMode

    add value 1

    No more File Explorer checkboxes, no more virtual keyboard.

    I checked my old 2-in-1 has this key in regedit, new one did not have it since it is probably not needed as it is not touch enabled.

    I say this is a bug in windows installation.

    Dragan,

    Thank you for your abilities and perseverance to solve this. I had the exact same scenario, copied settings from a 2-in-1 to a traditional gaming laptop and could not eliminate the checkboxes. Everything is as it should be now.

    Cheers!

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-06T10:16:10+00:00

    I second this - during the new gaming laptop installation I opted to copy settings/backup from previous laptop that was 2-in-1 and I got new one stuck in tablet/touch mode?! Taskbar settings to remove optimization for touch is functional, but File Explorer does not have anything to get rid of checkboxes next to filenames, and it added virtual keyboard to task bar as well, who knows what else.

    Anyway, this worked for me - regedit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl

    add DWORD key named ConvertibleSlateMode

    add value 1

    No more File Explorer checkboxes, no more virtual keyboard.

    I checked my old 2-in-1 has this key in regedit, new one did not have it since it is probably not needed as it is not touch enabled.

    I say this is a bug in windows installation.

    Dragan,

    Thank you for your abilities and perseverance to solve this. I had the exact same scenario, copied settings from a 2-in-1 to a traditional gaming laptop and could not eliminate the checkboxes. Everything is as it should be now.

    Cheers!

    Dragan - thank you! Your fix did the trick.

    I came from an HP Spectre x360 (2-in-1) to an HP ZBook Power G11 (not a 2-in1) and, like many others, opted to copy settings from the previous machine as I thought that would be very practicle and efficient. Then, the frustrating check box issue.

    I can't believe how Microsoft is ignoring this, clearly a Win 11 issue that affects many. It's like a car manufacturer updates it's system, and your car can suddenly only drive in reverse. Unbelievably sloppy and ignorant work.

    I hope Dragan's fix is marked as SOLVED, and gets top rank everywhere.

    Thanks again!

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-02-06T15:09:42+00:00

    Does anyone have a step-by-step on how to do this? I suck at computers

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments