Every time i open a txt file it opens recent txt files also

Anonymous
2023-09-05T09:31:43+00:00

So when I start my pc the first time I open any txt file it opens all the recent txt files I have opened like from the day before then after I close them all and try to open again any txt file it opens the txt file and the most recent txt file also. I noticed this bug after i updated my windows 11 I don't know if that is the problem just saying, any advice is welcome.

Edit : (sorry forgot to mention that i use the default Microsoft notepad)

  • Thanks for your time.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-09-05T15:21:47+00:00

Have you already checked the settings in notepad? If not please follow the steps below.

-Open Notepad.

-Click on the "File" menu.

-Select "Options" or "Settings" (depending on your Windows version).

-In the "Preferences" or "Startup" tab, look for an option related to session or file restoration.

-Disable or uncheck the option that says something like "Restore previous session" or "Reopen files from the last session."

If you have any additional questions please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-11-03T15:03:21+00:00

    For YEARS we had to put up with Notepad being the most basic of editors. It, for example, didn't even have the option to undo more than the most recent thing you did.

    But now it's swung the other way, and it has introduced "cleverness" that nobody wants.

    Typical Microsoft. That's all I can say. LOL

    Thankfully this one is easy to switch off.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-11-08T14:58:56+00:00

    I click the 'File' in notepad's menu, but there isn't any 'Settings' or 'Option' to select. Only 'New Tab', 'Open', 'New Window', 'Save', "Save As', 'Save All', 'Print', 'Close Tab', 'Exit'.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-11-08T15:07:57+00:00

    There is also a "Settings" cog thingy. Not sure when THAT first appeared.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-11-14T22:53:45+00:00

    My setting is on "Open new window" but it still opens all the files from the previous day.

    This sucks, I open multiple txt files a day during my work and change something in there which should not be saved, because they are templates and the change is only temporary. I have to manually close each file and tell them to not save and can't just shut down my notebook as I used to be, because it will open those files with the changes made again and then forces me to close them with "don't save". Huge waste of time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments