Every time i open a txt file it opens recent txt files also

Anonymous
2023-09-05T09:31:43+00:00

So when I start my pc the first time I open any txt file it opens all the recent txt files I have opened like from the day before then after I close them all and try to open again any txt file it opens the txt file and the most recent txt file also. I noticed this bug after i updated my windows 11 I don't know if that is the problem just saying, any advice is welcome.

Edit : (sorry forgot to mention that i use the default Microsoft notepad)

  • Thanks for your time.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-09-05T15:21:47+00:00

Have you already checked the settings in notepad? If not please follow the steps below.

-Open Notepad.

-Click on the "File" menu.

-Select "Options" or "Settings" (depending on your Windows version).

-In the "Preferences" or "Startup" tab, look for an option related to session or file restoration.

-Disable or uncheck the option that says something like "Restore previous session" or "Reopen files from the last session."

If you have any additional questions please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-10-14T22:41:29+00:00

    As a blind screen reader (JAWS / NVDA) user gouing to File menu got me nowhere. There is no Settings or Options as a menu item.

    I got sighted assistance and found out that Settings is in the menubar at the same level as File,Edit and View and not navigable by arrow keys. The menubar is accessible just with the Alt key.

    So using Alt+S puts one in the Settings menu! And there I found the Opening Files option.

    It is incorrect and bad usability to set "Open content from previous session" as the default radio button choice. The other option "Open in a new window" should be the default.

    In the what's new or tips section the presence of the other choice should be indicated with a description of how to access it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    90+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-10-22T10:45:42+00:00

    Why in the world did Microsoft do this (the opening of recent files)? Surely most people don't want this. When I click on a particular file, I want to open only that file, not all the files I've opened days ago. This setting makes no sense whatsoever.

    Was this answer helpful?

    50+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-10-28T17:16:50+00:00

    Microsoft engineering's arrogance at defaulting their every new idea. Mummy and Daddums are so proud. Down below, a blind user chastises MS for their incompetence for NOT documenting the "reopen previous tabs", which as a use case is the rarity, as opposed to starting fresh. The Google squad does similar, leading to my Banking tab reopening and scaring the **** out of me. Heads up, Microsoft. Learning to advertise new options in support of opting in, instead of forcing everyone to opt out.

    Was this answer helpful?

    40+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-11-08T15:07:57+00:00

    There is also a "Settings" cog thingy. Not sure when THAT first appeared.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments