Dev Home (Peview)

Anonymous
2023-09-26T23:06:30+00:00

I see Microsoft is at it again... forcing new UNINSTALLABLE apps in the latest update (Sept 26/2023) to us... What the heck is Dev Home (Preview) and what does it do and how can you get rid of it???

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-09-27T11:46:24+00:00

If you had Dev Home (Preview) installed during the September 26/2023 update and don't want it...

I did a lot of seaching, I found a way to get rid of it...

A - To uninstall Dev Home Preview, you can follow the steps below:

Open the Settings app.

Click on Apps.

Scroll down and locate Dev Home Preview.

Click on it and select Uninstall.

B - If you are unable to uninstall Dev Home Preview using the above method, you can try using PowerShell to remove it. Here are the steps:

Open PowerShell (Terminal) as an administrator.

Type 

Get-AppxPackage *devhome* | Remove-AppxPackage

and press Enter.

This should remove Dev Home Preview from your device.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

B worked perfectly for me... doing that removed it from the Start Menu... Microsoft Store and Settings - Apps

How to uninstall Dev Home in Windows 11 - Your Windows Guide

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-12-31T21:24:09+00:00

    Nonsense.

    This option is, & has always been off in my settings yet here I am with an update popping up on my screen and being unable to uninstall.

    Sort a proper solution to bloatware that is not wanted or even asked permission to be installed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-10-16T08:35:53+00:00

    If I had to guess given their reply above, this is a bug in the preview version - it is a preview after all, part of a feature preview update that's quite intentionally marked as not-final. It really sounds like they only expect it to be installed based on the personalization options, but something goes awry and it flags every machine as "install this Dev Home thing".

    Basically, don't go for preview updates.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-10-12T18:37:54+00:00

    Thank you Jack Smook for posting HOW to get to powershell. Not all of us are totally tech savvy. I had no clue what powershell was, but followed your instructions to be rid of dev home. It worked!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-10-08T08:44:14+00:00

    I checked this and found that that I did NOT have 'Development' turned on but this package had downloaded and installed anyway.

    However the 'B' solution given above worked fine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments