Microsoft Flight Sim 2020 crashing on start up

Anonymous
2023-08-30T07:41:56+00:00

Hello,

I tried launching MSFS 2020 today on my PC but it crashes at the loading screen every time, regardless of safe mode or normal.

My drivers are up to date and my microsoft/xbox sign in details are correct.

Nvidia Geforce RTX 4070 Ti
Driver version 537.13
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor
31.89 GB RAM

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

52 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-31T20:40:10+00:00

    i disabled the openrx tool kit and all is fine again..

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-07-31T05:39:36+00:00

    EventData
    AppName FlightSimulator.exe
    AppVersion 1.37.19.0
    AppTimeStamp 00000000
    ModuleName VCRUNTIME140.dll
    ModuleVersion 14.40.33728.0
    ModuleTimeStamp f3e8e773
    ExceptionCode c0000005
    FaultingOffset 0000000000001031
    ProcessId 0x7b64
    ProcessCreationTime 0x1dae30b478d6dd1
    AppPath C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.37.19.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
    ModulePath C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.UWPDesktop_14.0.33728.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\VCRUNTIME140.dll
    IntegratorReportId 2550525b-a59a-42a5-ba64-288e2e5c53b4
    PackageFullName Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.37.19.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
    PackageRelativeAppId App

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-07-30T07:23:35+00:00

    i have an issue with it crashing in windows 11 all drivers are updated, fresh MSFS 2020 installed, no addon's it seem to start to load and about 20 seconds into the splash screen the sound cuts out and it crashes before it loads.. never had an issue in windows 10...

    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900K CPU @ 3.70GHz 3.70 GHz
    Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)
    System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
    Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-07-19T13:36:15+00:00

    I wanted to post an update that I was finally able to fix my issue!

    By scanning through my Windows Event Viewer I was able to locate where MSFS made a call out to the Open Composite OpenXR dll and got an error result, halting the game and dropping it to the desktop. This OpenXR file is a replacement dll for SteamVR. Even though I do not use VR on this new system (at least not yet), I do use it on my other gaming system and it looks like when I set up Steam on this new PC it copied my old preferences to use this dll over the native SteamVR dll's. OpenComposite and OpenXR is used in a lot of VR systems as it offers (usually) much better performance in SteamVR titles like DCS and MSFS 2020.

    I installed and loaded the OpenComposite and Open XR toolkits and made sure that OpenXR was disabled and removed from this system and after I did that MSFS 2020 launched properly.

    This obviously won't be a solution to all the issues reported in this thread but it should be a reminder to open up and look through the Event Viewer. For me, I was able to find the offending entry under Windows Logs>Application. Look for any red exclamation points with the "Error" label and see what it says.

    Good luck and now back to some flying on my new rig!

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-07-19T09:02:57+00:00

    delete the savegame in %appdata% , it worked for me :⁠-⁠)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments