PC restarts randomly with no BSOD

Anonymous
2023-09-05T03:04:47+00:00

My PC restarts randomly with no BSOD or anything. Just a black screen and straight restart. This has been happening consistently for 2 days, but has happened like 1-2 times before that as well. It's out lf control now, however. 

Today, my PC was consistently restarting around 2-3 minutes after booting up and arriving to desktop. I reinstalled windows ("dirty" install) and the frequency dropped but it's still happening randomly.

It mostly happens with games, like halfway into a MW2 Multiplayer or CSGO match or in the Starfield menu (but Starfield has been having such issues anyway). However, this is not exclusive and the PC does restart at any point when not in game, although it does take significantly longer to do so when I'm just browsing or doing anything other than playing. 

I thought reinstalling Windows 10 would fix it but well, it didn't. There are a few different errors in the event log that are causing the "kernel" event that basically means the PC was restarted but not in the proper way, but we already know that. 

Need help, people. I'll provide anything I can to help. 

MSI 6600XT

Ryzen 5 5600

Asrock B450M

Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB DDR4 3000 mhz

Corsair VS450

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-09-05T03:58:00+00:00

    Hi Anmol_406,

    I'm Dyari. Thanks for reaching out. I will be happy to assist you in this regard.

    Please go to C:\Windows\Minidump and copy any minidump files you find to your desktop. Afterward, share these files through OneDrive or Google Drive so we can analyze them and identify the specific file that's causing the crash.

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

    Also, check C:\Windows and share the MEMORY.DMP file.

    If the folder is empty or the MEMORY.DMP is not available, kindly share the Event viewer logs:

    https://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2017/12/how-to...

    Regards,

    ____________________________________________________________

    Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-09-05T12:42:40+00:00

    So I have no Minidump folder and no MEMORY.DMP file. Here are the Event logs. This drive link takes you to the system, administrative, and application logs. Do let me know if you need anything more. Again, this is no BSOD, just a random restart after a black screen. Happens mostly after starting or during games, but can happen after a few hours of idling or browsing. However, currently has not happened to me for about the last six hours, which is when I turned my PC on. No games, only browsing and work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-09-06T05:44:12+00:00

    Thanks for sharing the logs Anmol_406,

    The log files indicate a fatal hardware error has occurred and it indicated CPU as a cause of the issue.

    To troubleshoot this issue follow the steps below:

    1-If you have overclocked the processor, I would suggest you reset it to the base clock.

    2-Update the BIOS to the latest only from the manufacturer's website.

    3-Check that all the cooling systems such as fans are working properly.

    4-If you have changed any configuration on BIOS, I would suggest resetting it to default.

    5-You can test the CPU with Prime95:

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16474-prime...

    Please let me know if you need further assistance and keep me updated.

    ____________________________________________________________

    Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-09-12T09:18:53+00:00

    The only thing that jumps out to me here is CPU cooling. However, the issue is also happening when I'm idle on my desktop, or browsing YouTube, Netflix, or anything else. It just happens a lot faster when I load up a game. Now, I tested my CPU temperature while on my desktop, and it was 59-60 degrees Celsius, which I'm assuming is normal.

    Even at the time of the issue, the max temperature was 59 degrees. I checked the other stuff as well, and disabled Overclocking and even changed from the XMP to default profile in BIOS. Now, the PSU is my next target, cause I've been told by people on other forums that 450W isn't enough for my system (specs listed above). I don't necessary believe this cause it's been running abolutely fine over the last few months, which is when I got my CPU and Motherboard upgraded. Also, my new Ryzen 5 5600 has the same TDP as my old i3-8100, so I don't see a problem there.

    So, my next question is can you or anyone else advise my on how to proceed? Aside from maybe getting a new PSU. Cause I can't test with a cheap/temporary PSU, if I have to I'll just buy it, but I want to know for sure that its the power supply before spending on a new one.

    Again, the issue is that my PC is restarting randomly, the screen freezes and goes black for a second, and then it restarts like it would after a BSOD.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-09-12T14:29:53+00:00

    AMD recommend an 500W psu with your 6600XT, but with gaming machines an extra 50+W over mfg's recommendation is

    common practice as this extra headroom puts less stress on the psu, and results in less heat, better stability, and longer life,

    over long gaming sessions, which for most people puts the most stress on the machine of any task.

    Having said that. We can't know for sure from this view, and there are a number of potential causes of 'random restarts'

    (you have already eliminated one - XMP).

    What is the cpu temp under load with a system intensive game ? 59C is safe enough, but too hot for idle temps.

    You should be able to stay below 50C at idle.

    While the psu may have seemed adequate up to now, the stress on the psu may only be starting to show (how old is it?).

    Are you hearing more fan noise from the psu than previously, or is the exhaust air feeling a bit warmer ?

    • Have you also checked the load temps on the gpu ?
    • BIOS and all drivers for motherboard are up to date ?

    .

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments