PC restarts randomly with no BSOD

Anonymous
2023-09-05T03:04:47+00:00

My PC restarts randomly with no BSOD or anything. Just a black screen and straight restart. This has been happening consistently for 2 days, but has happened like 1-2 times before that as well. It's out lf control now, however. 

Today, my PC was consistently restarting around 2-3 minutes after booting up and arriving to desktop. I reinstalled windows ("dirty" install) and the frequency dropped but it's still happening randomly.

It mostly happens with games, like halfway into a MW2 Multiplayer or CSGO match or in the Starfield menu (but Starfield has been having such issues anyway). However, this is not exclusive and the PC does restart at any point when not in game, although it does take significantly longer to do so when I'm just browsing or doing anything other than playing. 

I thought reinstalling Windows 10 would fix it but well, it didn't. There are a few different errors in the event log that are causing the "kernel" event that basically means the PC was restarted but not in the proper way, but we already know that. 

Need help, people. I'll provide anything I can to help. 

MSI 6600XT

Ryzen 5 5600

Asrock B450M

Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB DDR4 3000 mhz

Corsair VS450

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-09T21:46:57+00:00

    Every reason for this kind of issue can be caused by so many things. With anything from out of date drivers to faulty cables. There even documentation existing that claims bad PSU. For me I reinstalled windows because of system file corrupting. I also updated bios. This seem to have corrected any issues I've had and haven't crashed since. I was inclined to review my bios version after the crashing continued following the reinstall of windows. Turns out there has been a bios update this whole time and I didn't know.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-09T16:10:31+00:00

    Also having random restarts, and exactly same info in the windows event viewer. Please let me know if you find a solution, and I will do the same.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-09T12:29:39+00:00

    Please help! My PC also restarts randomly without a BSOD.

    This issue has been occurring multiple times.

    • It mostly happens during gaming (Ghost of Tsushima).
    • It has also occurred while playing Assassin’s Creed Odyssey.
    • It happened with the GPU overclocked, undervolted, and at default settings.
    • It also randomly occurred while benchmarking using OCCT (Power test and GPU test).
    • Twice, it happened while watching a video on YouTube.
    • Today, my PC restarted four times in a row after just a few seconds of gameplay of Ghost of Tsushima.

    Notes:

    • No high temperatures on the processor or GPU. I don’t know about the VRM since there is no VRM sensor.
    • Reinstalling Windows did not fix it
    • Reinstalling, downgrading, and updating the GPU driver did not fix it
    • Reinstalling all PC components did not fix it
    • RAM is running in XMP mode at 3200 MT/s.

    There is always an event in the Windows Event Viewer when this issue occurs:

    • Level: Critical
    • Source: Kernel-Power
    • Event ID: 41
    • Task Category: 63
    • Descriptions: "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

    PC Specs:

    • i5-10400F
    • MSI 6650XT
    • Asrock B460M HDV/M.2
    • Kingston Fury Beast 3200MT/s
    • PSU Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 660W

    Please help! This is really frustating.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  5. Anonymous
    2025-02-09T18:12:53+00:00

    5 Items

    Hi!, having the same problem, PC keeps restarting without BSOD. Please help TY!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments