PC restarts randomly with no BSOD

Anonymous
2023-09-05T03:04:47+00:00

My PC restarts randomly with no BSOD or anything. Just a black screen and straight restart. This has been happening consistently for 2 days, but has happened like 1-2 times before that as well. It's out lf control now, however. 

Today, my PC was consistently restarting around 2-3 minutes after booting up and arriving to desktop. I reinstalled windows ("dirty" install) and the frequency dropped but it's still happening randomly.

It mostly happens with games, like halfway into a MW2 Multiplayer or CSGO match or in the Starfield menu (but Starfield has been having such issues anyway). However, this is not exclusive and the PC does restart at any point when not in game, although it does take significantly longer to do so when I'm just browsing or doing anything other than playing. 

I thought reinstalling Windows 10 would fix it but well, it didn't. There are a few different errors in the event log that are causing the "kernel" event that basically means the PC was restarted but not in the proper way, but we already know that. 

Need help, people. I'll provide anything I can to help. 

MSI 6600XT

Ryzen 5 5600

Asrock B450M

Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB DDR4 3000 mhz

Corsair VS450

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-18T19:15:06+00:00

    Good day Dyari. I am facing this same issue on Windows 11. I have tried fixing via windows update as well as running the troubleshooter. I have also done a reset of the PC (saved my settings and files).

    I am at my wits end. This is causing me to lose work since my Excel files don't get saved and it randomly reboots.

    Can I please get you to assist me with this? I would really appreciate it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-07-01T12:56:20+00:00

    So I actually found out what my problem was. It did end up being a hardware issue but not the hardware I was ever going to suspect: the actual case of the PC itself.

    After deciding to upgrade some hardware since it was getting up in years, the same issue was happening despite it being essentially a new computer. Black screens and rebooting.

    I decided to see if the case was the issue. I unplugged all the connectors from the I/O to the motherboard: power button, reset switch, LED, USB, HD audio, etc. I disconnected the fans to play it safe. I took a flathead screwdriver and booted up the PC by briefly connecting the pins on the power switch on the motherboard and testing that for about a week. The system was completely stable. Operated just fine, played games normally. I could put it to sleep and wake it up with no issues.

    So I ended up getting a new PC case and it's been running smoothly ever since.

    Can't say this is the case for everyone else but it was for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-06-27T00:46:25+00:00

    Hey OP. Not sure how to help you specifically, but I encountered a similar situation. I think that these 5000 series CPUs aren't receiving enough voltage when it enters a lower power state. I would recommend adjusting your curve optimizer if you have one or disabling ACPI sleep states. Ryzen 5000 CPUs are also sometimes unstable with RAM clocked at 3600mhz, so you could try bringing it down a bit.

    Idk if any of this will work for you, but it worked on my gf's machine who was having the same problem.

    Her specs are

    EVGA X570 FTW

    AMD Ryzen 5800x

    RTX 3070 Ti FE

    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 4x8 DDR4

    Corsair 850 watt gold (don't remember what type)

    Boot drive - samsung 970 EVO NVME 2 TB

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-05-07T18:58:23+00:00

    hey sorry for the late reply, never got any notification. Disabling RAM XMP helped reduce my restarts. im thinking its my power supply... but i cant swap it as of now. if you already solved it int the meantime, please enlighten me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-03-29T01:32:37+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments