microsoft will be migrating all emails to outlook in 2024. Will I lose my old emails and contacts?

Anonymous
2023-08-11T18:16:19+00:00

I have 2 msn.com email accounts for years and need my old emails and contacts and folder in my email. I use a laptop with Windows 10 and a desktop version of office not a subscription.

According to Microsoft: "Beginning in 2024, Windows 11 devices will be shipped with the new Outlook for Windows as the default mailbox application free for all to use. Starting in June 2023, we are beginning the process of migrating existing Windows Mail, Calendar, and People users to the new Outlook for Windows."

Does this mean I may lose my old emails and contacts and email folders in migration. How can I prevent or save for easy access?

Thanks for info. I am not very tech smart.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-08-11T18:49:42+00:00

    Hi, I'm Elise, a fellow user like yourself and I'd be happy to help with your issue.

    No this will all happen automatically for you, it is basically just merging these separate apps into one.

    You won’t need to do anything it will just download automatically for you.

    Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

    Kind Regards,

    Elise

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-09-28T12:54:11+00:00

    I have recently changed over from windows mail to outlook. I am happy with how it works for current emails but over the years I have saved a lot of emails in folders in Documents. I cannot seem to access these - it just opens with the calendar page. I cannot bear to lose all these emails. How do I open them. thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-10-14T12:36:34+00:00

    The replacement for windows mail and calendar is Outlook (not Microsoft Office Outlook.) .. I tried the new Outlook and like the experience excempt it does not have Pop3.. It only has imap... IMAP seems to lack the feature to read only the email from the server and not remove the message.

    Is there any hope that Outlook will get POP3/SMPT before the 2024 launch...

    thank you

    PS: I also found the conversion to Outlook seemed to leave some folders behind.. I reverted to windows mail and calendar.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-11-07T02:30:21+00:00

    The replacement for windows mail and calendar is Outlook (not Microsoft Office Outlook.) .. I tried the new Outlook and like the experience excempt it does not have Pop3.. It only has imap... IMAP seems to lack the feature to read only the email from the server and not remove the message.

    Is there any hope that Outlook will get POP3/SMPT before the 2024 launch...

    thank you

    PS: I also found the conversion to Outlook seemed to leave some folders behind.. I reverted to windows mail and calendar.

    Hi Everyone

    I've been an MSN.com legacy member for almost a quarter century. And I admit it... I keep many emails... this is the written history of my last 23 years of social media written communication.

    I have folders and files and emails... The last time I searched this question: what happens to my folders and files when I convert... I got the same "no real answer" from Customer Support.

    I did find a link (misplaced it I'm afraid} that you can archive your folders and files into OneDrive, but no real steps in how to do that, or how to protect your emails.

    What I'm asking is do I have any choice but to say goodbye to my thousands of emails over these years? If not, I will have little more than 50 days to find some way to archive some of the most precious ones to me. Customer Service? Are you there?? Frank

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-11-07T11:55:06+00:00

    I am not a big fan of ONEDRIVE and have gone to great lengths to remove it from my systems (iCloud and Google and Amazon too!).. I have no desire to share all my data will the outside world..

    My original question remains.. imap has been added back.. why not re-add pop3/SMPT as well..to the new windows outlook. A new release of software is diminished if it removes existing functionality!

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments