Hello: I am having a problem trying to keep my Hotmail account. I get the Hotmail account back, but then when I log in later, it changes to Outlook.
Thank You
Philip Paquette
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I have 2 msn.com email accounts for years and need my old emails and contacts and folder in my email. I use a laptop with Windows 10 and a desktop version of office not a subscription.
According to Microsoft: "Beginning in 2024, Windows 11 devices will be shipped with the new Outlook for Windows as the default mailbox application free for all to use. Starting in June 2023, we are beginning the process of migrating existing Windows Mail, Calendar, and People users to the new Outlook for Windows."
Does this mean I may lose my old emails and contacts and email folders in migration. How can I prevent or save for easy access?
Thanks for info. I am not very tech smart.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hello: I am having a problem trying to keep my Hotmail account. I get the Hotmail account back, but then when I log in later, it changes to Outlook.
Thank You
Philip Paquette
I have been forced to change from Mail to Outlook. I previously would download and save emails on my laptop (as in save them as files on windows explorer).
Now I have the new Outlook, when i try to open the saved / downloaded emails on my windows explorer, Outlook opens, but it goes straight to calendar - it does not open the email i had saved and downloaded.
Even when Outlook is already open, I double click on the saved / downloaded email but again it just opens the calendar.
I desperately need to have emails saved and downloaded - setting up folders in Outlook just is not sufficient for my purposes.
I have tried Googling solutions - a lot seem to say 'oh just click on the 'File' tab' - I dont have the file tab. Confusingly it seems there is a difference between Outlook and Microsoft Office Outlook.
Is there a way I can open downloaded / saved emails?
This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.
Comments have been turned off. Learn more
It did NOT Merge the 2 for me. It stictly changed to outlook. It is COMPLETELY different & does not have a "Junk" file anymore NOR does it have any of my other folders I made on my msn account!
I have the same question, plus some detail. I am a 365 subscriber user, but my basic question is the same - that is how can I keep several years of emails in ready access form. I am cleaning up some my life's personal and business activities and need this for the present. When that all in order again, seeing a number of recent years' of history will not be an issue.
At present I can work with archives, and some search tools can even index emails and files inside un-mounted pst files containing historical records of past email dealings.
Will the new system have archive facility and if so will I be able to search across the archives?
I can handle a moderately technical description, and in fact find that useful provided it is couched in plain English when possible or provided with useful plain English explainers to make the jargon accessible.