Disable "iPhone, iPad, or Android device" option for Passkey Sign-in

Anonymous
2023-11-07T21:54:48+00:00

As of recent builds of Win 11, when prompted to use a security key, the following prompt appears:

It's insanely annoying to have to manually select Security Key every time, and I want to completely get rid of the iPhone, iPad, or Android device option. There is no intuitive way to do this through the Settings app.

How. The. Hell. Do. I. Turn. It. Off.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-05T20:58:34+00:00

    I don't disagree with anything that's been said, but to clarify, I don't think most of the folks on this thread are consumer users.

    An enterprise-focused workaround - like a registry key we can push via AD Group Policy - would be a perfect solution.

    I'm optimistic that, like most other Windows features, this feature code runs only after a prerequisite check, including an enable/disable registry key for debugging, and we just haven't found it yet!

    This is super annoying! Does not make any sense the amount of clicks that I have to do now to choose the security key. Why not the option to select a default?

    Likely because security keys are really quite rare for Microsoft personal account users who are typically consumer users.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Rob Koch 26,175 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-01-05T21:17:41+00:00

    I don't disagree with anything that's been said, but to clarify, I don't think most of the folks on this thread are consumer users.

    An enterprise-focused workaround - like a registry key we can push via AD Group Policy - would be a perfect solution.

    I'm optimistic that, like most other Windows features, this feature code runs only after a prerequisite check, including an enable/disable registry key for debugging, and we just haven't found it yet!

    This is super annoying! Does not make any sense the amount of clicks that I have to do now to choose the security key. Why not the option to select a default?

    Likely because security keys are really quite rare for Microsoft personal account users who are typically consumer users.

    Yes, CardinalDBeiter, as I believe I mentioned in at least one post once I realized it, many of you have been in the wrong forums all along, since this Community is really intended for consumer suers and not Work and Home users of Azure.

    Even if you're a consumer small business with an Azure account, the support for this is still in the Microsoft Learn - Q & A Forums and not here, since most volunteers here aren't aware of the specifics of your issues, which is why this thread hasn't resolved anything for most of you. I'm sure I tried to tell you all that at least once as well, you're wasting your time here.

    < EDIT > Oops, sorry CardinalDBeiter, I mixed this thread up with another regarding the Authenticator, so I'm not sure I actually did mention the Microsoft Learn forums here before, since otherwise the threads have lots of similarities.

    Probably many of those in this thread actually belong here, while you and anyone lese with an Azure account should be posting in Microsoft Learn, even if the issue itself with the interface seems exactly the same, since the backends that support them are different.

    In fact, it just may be that's this is the reason for the current issue, since trying to make these interface operations work properly on both the Azure and older Microsoft personal (e.g. Microsoft 365, Outlook.com, Windows Live, Hotmail) backends is likely a bit of a nightmare. I know that other Authenticator thread has shown this to be true.

    Rob

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-05T22:07:42+00:00

    Sorry but since TechNet basically died, this is the forum the majority of people use. When you search for answers on a search engine, this is the forum where you find threads. I guarantee you tons IT professionals are coming into these forums on a regular basis.

    However I also don't think any IT professional is expecting the "Microsoft volunteers" to come in here and fix this issue for us. They are honestly generally worthless for fixing most issues. Their responses are usually no better than the junky SEO-optimized garbage troubleshooting websites you come across when searching through search engines. IT professionals are posting in this forum to connect with other IT professionals who might be having a similar issue to discover if anyone has found fixes for it.

    The Learn forum gets very little traffic. There's much more traffic coming in to Answers. Almost everything I've ever posted in Learn has gone into a black hole and never seen a response.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Rob Koch 26,175 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-01-06T05:16:43+00:00

    I understand Kyle, but the Microsoft Learn - Q & A forums are where the true Microsoft employees supporting their products have accounts and reside, while as you mentioned most here are either volunteers like me or Microsoft contractors with various levels of knowledge and likely still no access to the internal Microsoft staff.

    The difference in my case is I'm a retired 45+ year computing and security professional who has been involved in Microsoft forums going back to the newsgroups and also one of only 2 past MVPs who originally had access to the Technical Product Manager for the Windows Live OneCare and Microsoft Security Essentials products and the teams developing those as well.

    I've been invited to join these forums as a volunteer moderator, but haven't completed my preparations for that role yet, which as I understand it may provide some additional access to a few Microsoft teams again, though far more limited than in the past.

    It's okay that you choose to hold discussions here with other professionals, but I'm telling you clearly that it's not the structure that Microsoft supports for IT professionals, so it's never going to get any recognition from anyone who can truly do anything about it. I agree that the new structure is confusing and thus far fewer professionals have been going to the correct place as a result, but that's what you should all be making clear to Microsoft through whatever other support channels you have, since until they hear that loud and clear, nothing will change.

    As an MVP from 2007-11 I was directly on the back-channel communications chain with access to product leads, which started to decay shortly after Windows 7 released as I recall. However, since I exited MVP status around that same time due to the switch to the built-in Windows Defender in Windows 8, I only heard about this from others still in the program at the time, so I've mostly been unaware what may have replaced these since I'd left.

    I'd tried to get professionals to use the new Learn structure when Microsoft created it, but it's so tightly integrated into Microsoft Learn that it doesn't truly appear like a traditional forums format, which is likely why it's apparently been badly accepted by that more technical community which was more used to either newsgroups or TechNet/Developer forums of the past. I'm guessing that many of the people who'd traditionally run both TechNet and many of the other product programs also either left or simply retired as well, which is in all likelihood why much of the past support structure now also seems to have disappeared.

    Rob

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-01-10T13:57:56+00:00

    Hello, same problem here.

    This needs to be confirmed by MS but it seems that this popup is directly related to the November LCU (which brings Passkeys) + Edge (or edge WebView2) update.

    In our case, if we use the latest version 119 of Edge WebView (download the fixed version here), we don't get this popup.

    As soon as you use version 120, the popup appears.

    The same applies if you disable Bluetooth directly from the Device Manager as already said on this topic.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments