Thank you! and frankly wow that you even thought to do that. I too use bluetooth so it's not the solution for me, but could surely help others and Microsoft if they ever care of the security vector they have wide open... IF MS has a bounty program, this could surely make someone some money!
Disable "iPhone, iPad, or Android device" option for Passkey Sign-in
As of recent builds of Win 11, when prompted to use a security key, the following prompt appears:
It's insanely annoying to have to manually select Security Key every time, and I want to completely get rid of the iPhone, iPad, or Android device option. There is no intuitive way to do this through the Settings app.
How. The. Hell. Do. I. Turn. It. Off.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Security and privacy
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
45 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2023-12-16T18:29:55+00:00 -
Anonymous
2023-12-15T20:37:42+00:00 Edit: I haven't checked Local Group Policy Editor in a long time...is there an administrative setting that controls phone passkeys? I think there is one governing USB security keys.
I found this policy in
\Windows Components\Microsoft Secondary Authentication Factor\, which, from the description, sounds like it would want to be disabled, for the purposes of the question at hand.That said, after having changed this, the option still persists. I rooted around a little more in the GP editor, but couldn't find anything else that looks like it'd do it. If anyone smarter than I can figure out if there is a GP to do it, or reg otherwise, please do let us know. I use Bluetooth audio solely, so just "turning off Bluetooth" is not a viable option.
-
Anonymous
2023-12-15T19:56:39+00:00 Out of curiosity, does it take you directly to the "Touch your USB security key" prompt, or does it still make you choose your passkey from a list (that is now shorter list, and at least "Security key" is selected by default)? Trying to figure out if it saves 1, 2, or 3 clicks.
I assume in a future release they'll add a "remember my choice and don't ask me again" checkbox, but in the meantime, hoping we find the right registry key to disable bluetooth phone passkeys.
Edit: I haven't checked Local Group Policy Editor in a long time...is there an administrative setting that controls phone passkeys? I think there is one governing USB security keys.
-
Anonymous
2023-12-15T19:44:01+00:00 I reset my password for Microsoft just to provide you a work-around -
If you disable Bluetooth this prompt should go away. I found this out because the prompt wouldn't show up on my work VM but it would on my laptop. Funny enough I wondered why and I finally found out that it requires bluetooth-capabilities to work. So I enabled it on the VM and it worked. So if you disable bluetoooth on your PC it should in fact disable this prompt.
UPDATE: I tested it and that seems to do it. However you must disable it through Device Manager itself, you cannot just turn off bluetooth.
@iEzJay - you are a genius! I went into Device Manager, disabled the Bluetooth device, then tried logging in again. Now all I see is the "Security Key" option which is effectively my YubiKey!
BRILLIANT workaround! Thank you for figuring that out and taking the time to share with the rest of us.
Folks - it really does work. Of course, you need to be willing to forgo Bluetooth connectivity - so if you rely on Bluetooth for mouse, keyboard, or anything else, you will have to decide which is more important for the time being.
Personally, I can't stand Bluetooth, so I'm perfectly content with disabling it.
Hopefully someone at Microsoft will actually take note of how much of an issue this is and do something about it.
-
Anonymous
2023-12-14T19:05:10+00:00 I reset my password for Microsoft just to provide you a work-around -
If you disable Bluetooth this prompt should go away. I found this out because the prompt wouldn't show up on my work VM but it would on my laptop. Funny enough I wondered why and I finally found out that it requires bluetooth-capabilities to work. So I enabled it on the VM and it worked. So if you disable bluetoooth on your PC it should in fact disable this prompt.
UPDATE: I tested it and that seems to do it. However you must disable it through Device Manager itself, you cannot just turn off bluetooth.