Disable "iPhone, iPad, or Android device" option for Passkey Sign-in

Anonymous
2023-11-07T21:54:48+00:00

As of recent builds of Win 11, when prompted to use a security key, the following prompt appears:

It's insanely annoying to have to manually select Security Key every time, and I want to completely get rid of the iPhone, iPad, or Android device option. There is no intuitive way to do this through the Settings app.

How. The. Hell. Do. I. Turn. It. Off.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Rob Koch 26,175 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-01-05T20:39:02+00:00

    This is super annoying! Does not make any sense the amount of clicks that I have to do now to choose the security key. Why not the option to select a default?

    Likely because security keys are really quite rare for Microsoft personal account users who are typically consumer users.

    It's also probable that Microsoft is more focused on making the new passkeys and Windows Hello itself easier to use, since most typically consumers will more likely use their smartphone combined with their other devices like tablets or laptops to store these, while the security keys have more often been used by commercial or government users who receive more training.

    I have watched this thread since early on but haven't truly tried to determine whether there's a simple way to organize these more effectively for everyone. However, I suspect that over time Microsoft will find the best way to deal with most of these logistical issues using tricks some here have suggested like choosing the last used option as the default.

    For now though I'd expect them to focus on stability over ease of use for any particular type of authentication device.

    < EDIT > BTW, the only way any of you will truly get your wishes known is to use the Microsoft Feedback option to log and have others vote on your preferences, since it's rare that anyone here is truly bringing these Community forum posts to anyone's attention inside Microsoft, as most here are volunteers or contractors and not true Microsoft employees.

    Rob

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-05T15:12:54+00:00

    This is super annoying! Does not make any sense the amount of clicks that I have to do now to choose the security key. Why not the option to select a default?

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-12-28T14:34:55+00:00

    Following as well. Literally JUST got a Yubico key to use for my MFA because I've seen them used in the past and it was such a quick and easy process... only to realize Microsoft made this absurd change that now requires multiple clicks with the mouse every time you want to use your security key....

    Unfortunately disabling BT isn't an option for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-12-19T16:21:56+00:00

    Did this problem just get worse as now I am getting this prompt before the other one?

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-12-18T13:41:53+00:00

    Brilliant fix - thank you for sharing!

    In my case, I use Bluetooth for my mouse, but I'm going to switch it back to a USB receiver instead, to save me these extra annoying clicks each day!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments