Disable "iPhone, iPad, or Android device" option for Passkey Sign-in

Anonymous
2023-11-07T21:54:48+00:00

As of recent builds of Win 11, when prompted to use a security key, the following prompt appears:

It's insanely annoying to have to manually select Security Key every time, and I want to completely get rid of the iPhone, iPad, or Android device option. There is no intuitive way to do this through the Settings app.

How. The. Hell. Do. I. Turn. It. Off.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-05T20:58:34+00:00

    I don't disagree with anything that's been said, but to clarify, I don't think most of the folks on this thread are consumer users.

    An enterprise-focused workaround - like a registry key we can push via AD Group Policy - would be a perfect solution.

    I'm optimistic that, like most other Windows features, this feature code runs only after a prerequisite check, including an enable/disable registry key for debugging, and we just haven't found it yet!

    This is super annoying! Does not make any sense the amount of clicks that I have to do now to choose the security key. Why not the option to select a default?

    Likely because security keys are really quite rare for Microsoft personal account users who are typically consumer users.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-12-28T14:34:55+00:00

    Following as well. Literally JUST got a Yubico key to use for my MFA because I've seen them used in the past and it was such a quick and easy process... only to realize Microsoft made this absurd change that now requires multiple clicks with the mouse every time you want to use your security key....

    Unfortunately disabling BT isn't an option for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-12-18T13:41:53+00:00

    Brilliant fix - thank you for sharing!

    In my case, I use Bluetooth for my mouse, but I'm going to switch it back to a USB receiver instead, to save me these extra annoying clicks each day!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-11-22T13:36:28+00:00

    Agree!

    Is there any registry key that can make it disappear?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. EmilyS726 269.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2023-11-08T20:53:47+00:00

    My apologies. The website of duo threw me off and I admit I didn't look closely.

    Indeed, this is the passkey feature.

    As of now, the only native way to delete them is via Settings > Accounts > Passkeys, you would see a list of websites listed here. You will need to click on the three dots of each one to delete them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments