Failed to Install KB5001716 Error 0x80070643

Anonymous
2023-10-13T09:33:55+00:00

Failed to Install KB5001716 Error 0x80070643

I am unable to install this update. I start with the basic options of restarting and trying but it has now lasted for quite some time.

I have tried clearing the whole cache of windows update as per the guide by Seema-Bharti here how to clear windows update cache - Microsoft Community

However the failed update just reoccurs on reboot when I restart windows update service.

Os I tried to install it manually from the microsoft catalog. However, the exact KB5001716 cannot be found.

The closest match I found was Microsoft Update Catalog

When I download this, I downloaded the very bottom one, windows 10 and later GDR I cannot find an option to install it just expands into more and more files.

What do I do to clear this bad update?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
TekkieBoy 12,556 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2023-10-27T00:39:13+00:00

Try this:

Download and install this Update:

https://catalog.s.download.windowsupdate.com/c/upgr/2022/07/windows10.0-kb5015684-x64_523c039b86ca98f2d818c4e6706e2cc94b634c4a.msu 

Restart the PC when prompted.

After restarting, start the update search on the Windows Update settings page and let Windows install any updates found there.

When done restart the pc again.

Greetings

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-10-20T04:45:31+00:00

I can confirm the inplace Upgrade does not work to resolve this.

Had an online Microsoft officer try the inplace upgrade as well and it will not update.

The issue with this update is that it errors when downloading so install is never attempted.

This issue resolved when the latest major upgrade for Windows 10 came thru. It didn't install the update however the update was removed from the updates to install after the major update had completed

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-13T02:57:02+00:00

    why does microsoft wait to fix errors until they have millions of users getting the same error?

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-13T02:54:41+00:00

    MICROSOFT NEEDS TO FIX THIS!

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-12T21:23:00+00:00

    I had the same problem with 2 desktop PCs and my laptop. All were running version 22H2 and nothing I tried, including the in place upgrade, didn't work for any of them.

    The solution was to increase the size of the Recovery Partition on my Windows drive. This was a royal pain for 2 reasons. First, Windows Disk Management won't allow you to manipulate that partition. Second, you have to use a 3rd party partitioning software. I downloaded and used the free version of MiniTool Partition Wizard v.12.

    If your drive is like mine, the operation is compounded by the fact that my EFI System partition sits between my main windows partition and the recovery partition.

    So, in order to increase the size of the recovery partition, I had to first increase the size of the EFI partition by grabbing some space from the Windows partition and apply that operation. Then, after a reboot and making sure the EFI partition increased properly, increase the size of the Recovery partition by stealing space from the EFI partition.

    After all is said and done, my EFI partition went from 100 MB to 153 MB and my Recovery partition went from 458 MB to 786 MB on my main PC. Slightly different numbers on the other PC and laptop.

    After increasing the size of the Recovery partition, all devices were able to complete the update successfully and are showing they are up to date.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments