The 23H2 update has not been offered to me yet. I have a message that it will be offered soon.
2023-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5032190) will not install successfully.
2023-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5032190) will not install successfully.
I get no error code. The update appears to run successfully until the end of the second reboot and then it says something did not go as planned.
Each time the update fails, W U plans to run the update again. Please read carefully what I list as solutions I have tried:
removed all non-necessary devices
ran scannow
ran troubleshooters
ran net stop bits net stop wuauserv net stop cryptsvc ren %systemroot%\softwaredistribution softwaredistribution.bak ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak net start bits net start wuauserv net start cryptsvc
conducted a clean boot, reran update unsuccessfully
uninstalled my AVG antivirus and Acronus Backup and reran update unsuccessfully
had two calls with microsoft support and no success
tried to run the update manually but get the message the update is already installed (downloaded and ready to install I presume)
My system is a desktop:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7820X CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GH,
RAM 32.0 GB
C drive has 526 GB free of 930 GB
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor,
Windows 11 Pro, 6/18/2023, 22621.2134, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22659.1000.0
This is a scratch rebuild from last June after update cratered my system and I could not recover a bootable system.
At least now an update failure rolls back successfully.
I am out of solutions that I can find on the internet. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Over 30 hours of time spent on this.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
54 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2023-12-03T17:35:47+00:00 -
Anonymous
2023-12-03T17:49:27+00:00 Think whatever you like about turning things on or off. I can tell you, on two desktop systems running Windows 11, I was not offered 23H2 until I turned the option off.
Hope you get it worked out.
-
Anonymous
2023-12-11T11:20:26+00:00 cant install this update its show retry all time
-
Anonymous
2023-12-29T17:50:26+00:00 I was able to solve my issue with this update continuously failing, I've linked the articles that helped me below.
It was related to WinRE, however resizing didn't appear to be my issue. I guess it was just incorrectly configured on which partition it should use.
When I ran
reagentc /info
it showed that my RE location was harddisk1\Partition5
Following instructions I disabled it withreagentc /disable
I was unsuccessful in following the resizing instructions tryting to use the same hd and partition that the /info gave
I then decided to just turn it back on with
reagentc /enable
I noticed that the new location was harddisk1\partition4
I then was able to retry the windows update successfully.
Hope this helps someone else.
Same issue here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5033560-update-for-windows-recovery-environment-winre-november-30-2023-b77c74c1-e7e0-4988-b1a3-71c00632cd69
Linked article with resizing instructions: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5028997-instructions-to-manually-resize-your-partition-to-install-the-winre-update-400faa27-9343-461c-ada9-24c8229763bf