2023-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5032190) will not install successfully.

Anonymous
2023-11-22T14:29:01+00:00

2023-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5032190) will not install successfully.

I get no error code. The update appears to run successfully until the end of the second reboot and then it says something did not go as planned.

Each time the update fails, W U plans to run the update again. Please read carefully what I list as solutions I have tried:

removed all non-necessary devices

ran scannow

ran troubleshooters

ran net stop bits net stop wuauserv net stop cryptsvc ren %systemroot%\softwaredistribution softwaredistribution.bak ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak net start bits net start wuauserv net start cryptsvc

conducted a clean boot, reran update unsuccessfully

uninstalled my AVG antivirus and Acronus Backup and reran update unsuccessfully

had two calls with microsoft support and no success

tried to run the update manually but get the message the update is already installed (downloaded and ready to install I presume)

My system is a desktop:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7820X CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GH,

RAM 32.0 GB

C drive has 526 GB free of 930 GB

64-bit operating system, x64-based processor,

Windows 11 Pro, 6/‎18/‎2023, 22621.2134, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22659.1000.0

This is a scratch rebuild from last June after update cratered my system and I could not recover a bootable system.

At least now an update failure rolls back successfully.

I am out of solutions that I can find on the internet. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Over 30 hours of time spent on this.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

54 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-12-01T20:17:15+00:00

    Maybe some not so standard recommendations. First, if you have the option to receive updates as soon as possible, turn that off.

    You may even want to stop updates for a short period of time.

    Then, check the Event Viewer to see what errors you might be showing. Along with that, type the command below in a run box to see if you see any recurring problems. The graph makes it easier to see problematic errors.

    perfmon /rel

    Have you gotten any of the KB4023057 updates in the last few months? These are maintenance updates and I got one on 8/25.

    Did you ever find out what happened so as to cause a reinstall?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-12-01T17:47:35+00:00

    It appears, as was discussed earlier in the thread, that the update, for 22H2, was installed today. It finished just after midnight.

    Yours was installed on 22H2 where mine installed on 23H2. Is there some reason you have not updated to 23H2?

    The link is for the update info page.

    Title = 2023-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5032190)

    UpdateId = 7abb93b7-ad91-4919-929b-783ca004ac0a.1

    Bundles 1 updates:

    *7abb93b7-ad91-4919-929b-783ca004ac0a.1* 
    

    ***Install complete for update ID: 7ABB93B7-AD91-4919-929B-783CA004AC0A.***1 Return code is 0x00000000. Requires Reboot:Yes

    November 14, 2023—KB5032190 (OS Builds 22621.2715 and 22631.2715) - Microsoft Support

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-12-01T15:43:00+00:00

    Saltgrass,

    I had run so many different updates and fixes that my update log was huge and I could not remember what I did for each operation. I hid the old etl files and reran windows update with no intervention. the log should show what is happening when an update is pushed to me. The automatic update failed as usual. The link below includes the windows update log as well as the CBS log:

    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtBVSmJKGCC8glnlvGYh7oFWlRyM?e=VFeCG1 I will rerun Ramesh's recommendation next and provide those logs.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-12-01T06:17:01+00:00

    Saltgrass, yes I have a log on my desktop. I was looking at the temporary files that were generated along with the desktop located log. In powershell I have a message saying:

    Output

    DumpFile: C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Temp\WindowsUpdateLog\wuetl.XML.tmp.824da0c6-3e3c-44bc-b878-16d6d1768e6f.00016
    Warning:
    Some events do not match the schema.
    Please rerun the command with -lr to get less restricted XML dump
    The command completed successfully.

    I do not know how to rerun with -lr

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-12-01T06:06:00+00:00

    Dan,

    //I did do the clean boot as you suggested in your second to last post. That is the second time I did that and it did not work again.//

    A clean boot wasn't the only thing suggested. Uninstallation of AVG was also recommended. If the setup failed despite the above steps, I requested the latest setup logs to be posted. Unfortunately, that wasn't done. How am I supposed to know the outcome of the last steps or if you tried them? As no logs were posted and there was no feedback regarding the last suggested method, I'd assume you didn't try them. Hopefully, the December quality update will help or someone will be able to fix the issue even without the logs. Good Luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments