Ramesh,
Will those folders contain system info that should not be public?
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
2023-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5032190) will not install successfully.
I get no error code. The update appears to run successfully until the end of the second reboot and then it says something did not go as planned.
Each time the update fails, W U plans to run the update again. Please read carefully what I list as solutions I have tried:
removed all non-necessary devices
ran scannow
ran troubleshooters
ran net stop bits net stop wuauserv net stop cryptsvc ren %systemroot%\softwaredistribution softwaredistribution.bak ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak net start bits net start wuauserv net start cryptsvc
conducted a clean boot, reran update unsuccessfully
uninstalled my AVG antivirus and Acronus Backup and reran update unsuccessfully
had two calls with microsoft support and no success
tried to run the update manually but get the message the update is already installed (downloaded and ready to install I presume)
My system is a desktop:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7820X CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GH,
RAM 32.0 GB
C drive has 526 GB free of 930 GB
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor,
Windows 11 Pro, 6/18/2023, 22621.2134, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22659.1000.0
This is a scratch rebuild from last June after update cratered my system and I could not recover a bootable system.
At least now an update failure rolls back successfully.
I am out of solutions that I can find on the internet. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Over 30 hours of time spent on this.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Ramesh,
Will those folders contain system info that should not be public?
Dan.
Please share the setup logs.
Ramesh,
I already tried a repair installation. It ran for quite a while and then I received a message the repair was unsuccessful and it rolled back to my August build. What can I do if a rebuild using the current ISO does not work?
Please share your CBS logs. I'll take a look at it. Some of the rollback issues are easily fixable, and others require reinstallation.
Hi Dan,
Ramesh,
My current os build is 22621.2134 after all the things I have tried to get an update installed. Thank you for telling me that windows update history is corrupt.
Windows update says the manual KB5032190 update installed correctly. However, as you noted, online update does not recognize it. I tried the re-install process you described earlier and it also failed and undid the changes. At this point, windows update fails, and windows re-install fails. My current OS was a fresh install of windows 11 22H2 on 6/18/2023. Updates were successful through (KB5029263). every update since then has failed. I had an online session with a microsoft tech that indicated we successfully installed KB5031354 but that does not seem to be the case with my current build number.
The build number of your system is 22621.2134 (August update). That means the subsequent updates (Sept, Oct, and Nov) didn't install on your system. The next cumulative update will be on December 12. Chances are it won't work on your system. But fingers crossed.
Why should I expect another clean install and a lot of time re-installing all my software to fix this problem?
If you don't want to wait till December 12, you may try a repair installation. Repair installation preserves your settings, files, and data. The instructions are here → How to run In-place upgrade in Windows 11 - Microsoft Community.
Caveat:
if you see the following screen (with grayed-out options) during the repair installation, cancel the setup. This can happen if you use the wrong ISO.