Windows 10 purchase may be applied too.
Windows 11 Digital License Activation Issue - Oct 2023
Issue: I recently re-built my PC with a new motherboard and SSD, installed Windows 11 Pro and attempted activation of the digital license in my account. The activation has failed with: "We weren't able to activate Windows on this device". Clicking the option "I changed hardware on this device recently" does not show the old computer to transfer the license from.
The digital license was purchased directly from Microsoft for Windows 10 Pro, then that system was upgraded to Windows 11. From the order screen, I can see that the order was for Windows 10/11 Pro so that shouldn't be a problem. I can also see the new PC and the old PC listed in my account under devices.
I opened a case with Microsoft and they stated there is a "global issue" with activation and they might need to regenerate a key for me to use. Then they transferred me to another team. The second rep took some screenshots of the error and a screenshot of a receipt showing a new hardware purchase (that was a first for me) and said I would receive a call back. The call back was the third rep I spoke to, who said it's again a global issue and it might fix itself in a week, but they did not have any reliable timeframe and didn't provide a path for regular updates / follow up on this issue.
In the meantime, I have a legitimate license for Windows and PC I can't customize and the watermark on the screen that's getting in the way with my work and gaming.
My question here - can anyone shed some light on this "global issue", if it's actually a documented problem, and what / when the expected resolution is? Can I just call and get to some team that will just regenerate a key so I can be on my way? The solution provided by support (waiting an undetermined amount of time) isn't acceptable.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Licensing and activation
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
45 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2023-10-23T15:59:25+00:00 I contacted MS support and they took control of my system and entered a product key. If I have to change hardware again, I'll have to repeat that process. But now my system is activated. Thanks for the suggestions.
-
Anonymous
2023-10-23T21:03:24+00:00 This is exactly what I need too. My mother board had to be changed out after some water damage within a week of my upgrading to Windows 11Pro. How did you even get to alive person at MSFT Support?? I keep getting sent to filing a ticket for a callback. I've logged 2 tickets with no callbacks., Verrrrry frustrating!
-
Anonymous
2023-10-24T01:31:59+00:00 Okay everyone I called Microsoft and I know what happened. It is a bit confusing, but here is the following:
Microsoft currently offers a free upgrade from windows 10 to windows 11 (OEM or Retail)
Microsoft does not offer a free upgrade from windows 7 or 8 to Windows 11, this means that if you obtained windows 10 from an upgrade from windows 7 or 8 it would not be counted as a proper windows 11 license for fresh install. This means if you do a fresh install you will not be able to activate your windows 11 with you Microsoft account that you linked to your license. (This applies to retail copies).
You can however, upgrade your current Windows 10 to Windows 11 just not a fresh install, but if for some reason you choose to do a fresh install then you will have to buy a new Windows 11 license. So if you can UPGRADE and then RESET your Windows DO NOT do a fresh install.
If you bought a windows 10 license (not an upgrade from earlier ones) you can do a fresh install to Windows 11 during this free upgrade offer, once they close the offer you won't be able to.
Hope that helps. This licensing thing just made me think retail version of the OS is pretty worthless now.
-
Anonymous
2023-10-29T22:18:30+00:00 They(Microsoft) get you on bios update and if its pro they unactivate your windows ,,