Hi,
It is a little late now, but it is best to select "I Don't Have A Key" and enter it later once everything is done..
It doesn't sound like your machine is activated..
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Issue: I recently re-built my PC with a new motherboard and SSD, installed Windows 11 Pro and attempted activation of the digital license in my account. The activation has failed with: "We weren't able to activate Windows on this device". Clicking the option "I changed hardware on this device recently" does not show the old computer to transfer the license from.
The digital license was purchased directly from Microsoft for Windows 10 Pro, then that system was upgraded to Windows 11. From the order screen, I can see that the order was for Windows 10/11 Pro so that shouldn't be a problem. I can also see the new PC and the old PC listed in my account under devices.
I opened a case with Microsoft and they stated there is a "global issue" with activation and they might need to regenerate a key for me to use. Then they transferred me to another team. The second rep took some screenshots of the error and a screenshot of a receipt showing a new hardware purchase (that was a first for me) and said I would receive a call back. The call back was the third rep I spoke to, who said it's again a global issue and it might fix itself in a week, but they did not have any reliable timeframe and didn't provide a path for regular updates / follow up on this issue.
In the meantime, I have a legitimate license for Windows and PC I can't customize and the watermark on the screen that's getting in the way with my work and gaming.
My question here - can anyone shed some light on this "global issue", if it's actually a documented problem, and what / when the expected resolution is? Can I just call and get to some team that will just regenerate a key so I can be on my way? The solution provided by support (waiting an undetermined amount of time) isn't acceptable.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi,
It is a little late now, but it is best to select "I Don't Have A Key" and enter it later once everything is done..
It doesn't sound like your machine is activated..
I just built a new gaming PC (yesterday) and tried to access Windows 11 Pro using a local account. I entered the product key I had purchased as that local user.. Now, my OS will not update a single thing nor download any updates. Shallow bricked.
Yeah I upgraded from windows 10 to 11 and now
I cant activate it wants me to buy a new license,
what a bunch of **** when it was supposed to work
on windows 11. windows 11 is the same as windows 10.
It loaded windows 11 pro, when I stated load windows
11 standard. It has been a whole mess. I think I am
going back to 10 and call it a day, if it will let me do that.
I am sure I will get another error wanting me to buy yet
another license. I don't call it Microsoft, I call them
MICROSHAFT, because every time you turn around,
there is a chargeable upgrade or some stupid ****
they want to charge you for. Microsoft is the greediest
company on the planet. I hope this helps you. Buy an Apple
computer and stay away from Microshaft.
Hi I seem to be having a similar problem with regards to re-activation so the licenses for the PCs are retail channel (I checked via slmgr/dli) and I can't seem to reactivate them. I can see the old PC tied to the Microsoft account, but trying to reactivate it will lead to "We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later."
So it is possible that there is some reactivation issue going on at Microsoft at this current moment. Unfortunately, I can't help you further than that at least you are not alone. Probably better than the other comments who are gas lighting you. Your comment about the situation is helping me understand why I am unable to activate it at this current moment.
Retail software is transferrable.
Can you point to the corresponding article in a license agreement that states this directly?
EULA says: You should review the entire agreement, including any supplemental license terms that accompany the software and any linked terms, because all of the terms are important and together create this agreement that applies to you.
And these Store's words are a supplemental license terms. One cannot ignore them.