Windows 11 Digital License Activation Issue - Oct 2023

Anonymous
2023-10-16T20:08:55+00:00

Issue: I recently re-built my PC with a new motherboard and SSD, installed Windows 11 Pro and attempted activation of the digital license in my account. The activation has failed with: "We weren't able to activate Windows on this device". Clicking the option "I changed hardware on this device recently" does not show the old computer to transfer the license from.

The digital license was purchased directly from Microsoft for Windows 10 Pro, then that system was upgraded to Windows 11. From the order screen, I can see that the order was for Windows 10/11 Pro so that shouldn't be a problem. I can also see the new PC and the old PC listed in my account under devices.

I opened a case with Microsoft and they stated there is a "global issue" with activation and they might need to regenerate a key for me to use. Then they transferred me to another team. The second rep took some screenshots of the error and a screenshot of a receipt showing a new hardware purchase (that was a first for me) and said I would receive a call back. The call back was the third rep I spoke to, who said it's again a global issue and it might fix itself in a week, but they did not have any reliable timeframe and didn't provide a path for regular updates / follow up on this issue.

In the meantime, I have a legitimate license for Windows and PC I can't customize and the watermark on the screen that's getting in the way with my work and gaming.

My question here - can anyone shed some light on this "global issue", if it's actually a documented problem, and what / when the expected resolution is? Can I just call and get to some team that will just regenerate a key so I can be on my way? The solution provided by support (waiting an undetermined amount of time) isn't acceptable.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Licensing and activation

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-10-23T14:11:33+00:00

    I didn't purchase it - I received an offer from Microsoft for an upgrade from 10 to 11, which I accepted.

    If I can't have 11 again, that's fine, but I'd at least like to get 10 back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Igor Leyko 112.4K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2023-10-23T14:03:09+00:00

    I don't have a product key -- probably my fault for not storing it somewhere,

    If you have a proof of a purchase - receipt or other purchasing documents - support person may sometimes re-issue a new product key for you. Please try to contact support.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-10-23T13:31:37+00:00

    I'm having a similar issue. Earlier this year (I think) Microsoft offered me a complimentary upgrade to Windows 11, which I accepted. I recently needed to replace my motherboard, and now I'm getting "need to activate" messages. I don't have a product key -- probably my fault for not storing it somewhere, but...you'd think MS would have some kind of records on what they gave me.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-10-21T17:26:17+00:00

    I'm having this exact same problem, I've been using the same Microsoft account for years and logged into Microsoft and it would activate just fine. All of a sudden it is not activating, tried on Windows 11 and it didn't work so I figured I would go to Windows 10 activate then upgrade Windows 11, Windows 10 wouldn't activate either.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-10-18T18:54:36+00:00

    Yeah I know its not activated it tells me on the main screen. I upgraded from 2 previous versions of windows. I have a windows 10 license but I guess microshaft wants you to spend more money on a new licsence. Go figured greedy @@&(($((9

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments