I cannot say about current policy but 3-4 years ago it was possible to re-issue a product key after sending a scan of payment document and recipe.
Windows 11 Digital License Activation Issue - Oct 2023
Issue: I recently re-built my PC with a new motherboard and SSD, installed Windows 11 Pro and attempted activation of the digital license in my account. The activation has failed with: "We weren't able to activate Windows on this device". Clicking the option "I changed hardware on this device recently" does not show the old computer to transfer the license from.
The digital license was purchased directly from Microsoft for Windows 10 Pro, then that system was upgraded to Windows 11. From the order screen, I can see that the order was for Windows 10/11 Pro so that shouldn't be a problem. I can also see the new PC and the old PC listed in my account under devices.
I opened a case with Microsoft and they stated there is a "global issue" with activation and they might need to regenerate a key for me to use. Then they transferred me to another team. The second rep took some screenshots of the error and a screenshot of a receipt showing a new hardware purchase (that was a first for me) and said I would receive a call back. The call back was the third rep I spoke to, who said it's again a global issue and it might fix itself in a week, but they did not have any reliable timeframe and didn't provide a path for regular updates / follow up on this issue.
In the meantime, I have a legitimate license for Windows and PC I can't customize and the watermark on the screen that's getting in the way with my work and gaming.
My question here - can anyone shed some light on this "global issue", if it's actually a documented problem, and what / when the expected resolution is? Can I just call and get to some team that will just regenerate a key so I can be on my way? The solution provided by support (waiting an undetermined amount of time) isn't acceptable.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Licensing and activation
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
45 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2023-11-10T18:26:01+00:00 Thanks....ended up getting a new licence and making 2 copies of keycode to keep in safe places,seems like if you lose it,there is no way of retrieving it from MS.
-
Anonymous
2023-11-10T17:35:26+00:00 I've been having issues activating with my digital license as well. I spoke with them today and they claim they are still trying to resolve a global issue with their servers after a policy change. They keep telling me the same thing - wait another 24-48 hours and try again while they resolve it on their end. It's been 5 days and no progress. 4 support cases with MS and they all say the same thing - global issue impacting many customers. I personally don't think they really know how to fix whatever the issue is atm.
-
Anonymous
2023-11-09T10:14:49+00:00 Still have the issue. called MS and they act like im scamming .its a bios issue with all boards.
-
Anonymous
2023-11-08T15:49:12+00:00 This happened recently to me, on a previous BIOS upgrade I was able to activate Windows.
This time it is not working. Each BIOS update appears to be creating another entry on my list of devices
for the same hardware.
On another PC it did not prompt me to activate windows at all.
So this seems to be a motherboard issued based on your manufacturer.
Home users like me that do their own hardware updates, like BIOS updates and
motherboard upgrades should have this happening to them.
I need a phone number to activate windows but the option is not showing up at all