Windows 11 Digital License Activation Issue - Oct 2023

Anonymous
2023-10-16T20:08:55+00:00

Issue: I recently re-built my PC with a new motherboard and SSD, installed Windows 11 Pro and attempted activation of the digital license in my account. The activation has failed with: "We weren't able to activate Windows on this device". Clicking the option "I changed hardware on this device recently" does not show the old computer to transfer the license from.

The digital license was purchased directly from Microsoft for Windows 10 Pro, then that system was upgraded to Windows 11. From the order screen, I can see that the order was for Windows 10/11 Pro so that shouldn't be a problem. I can also see the new PC and the old PC listed in my account under devices.

I opened a case with Microsoft and they stated there is a "global issue" with activation and they might need to regenerate a key for me to use. Then they transferred me to another team. The second rep took some screenshots of the error and a screenshot of a receipt showing a new hardware purchase (that was a first for me) and said I would receive a call back. The call back was the third rep I spoke to, who said it's again a global issue and it might fix itself in a week, but they did not have any reliable timeframe and didn't provide a path for regular updates / follow up on this issue.

In the meantime, I have a legitimate license for Windows and PC I can't customize and the watermark on the screen that's getting in the way with my work and gaming.

My question here - can anyone shed some light on this "global issue", if it's actually a documented problem, and what / when the expected resolution is? Can I just call and get to some team that will just regenerate a key so I can be on my way? The solution provided by support (waiting an undetermined amount of time) isn't acceptable.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Licensing and activation

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-12-09T01:00:19+00:00

    I updated my BIOS yesterday and suddenly my copy of windows was deactivated, which I have been using for years through numerous actual hardware upgrades. I had previously purchased a Windows 10 pro upgrade directly from Microsoft prior to upgrading to Windows 11 during the insider program, but after 3-4 hours on the phone yesterday and today (having to completely repeat myself every time), I just gave up and bought a new license. I'm hoping with that record if they ever give an update to what was broken that I have some way to get a refund, but even with me knowing my original keys they couldn't help me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-11-24T18:26:52+00:00

    I have same problem , i didnt change anything just reistalled windows and now it cant be activated.

    Tried for 3 days to get microsoft support but not a chance :(

    please if anyone knows how to make them respond please post here.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-11-15T00:45:34+00:00

    i lost my win 11 thru a bios update(gigabyte motherboard) . microsoft know this and not helping!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Igor Leyko 112.4K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2023-11-14T16:51:21+00:00

    (with a Microsoft Store bought digital license (it IS a license))

    Did you read Microsoft documentation? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/activate-windows-c39005d4-95ee-b91e-b399-2820fda32227 says:

    • A digital license (called a digital entitlement in Windows 10, Version 1511) is a method of activation in Windows 10 that doesn't require you to enter a product key.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-11-14T14:42:26+00:00

    Good luck with that! Meanwhile Microsoft-Activation-Scripts fixed it for me. See this thread Windows activation after bios update - Microsoft Community

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments