Hi,
My name is Igor, it's a pleasure for me to help others and I'll do all my best to help you.
First of all, digital license cannot be purchased. It is an activation method but not a license really.
Did you buy your license thru Microsoft Store? If yes, please note, licenses bought thru Microsoft Store are tied to hardware and cannot be transferred. This is Microsoft policy and Microsoft decision due to technology used for such licenses activation.
This limitation was stated during purchase procedure but not clear enough unfortunately.
You may try to contact Microsoft support for the activation, but chances are low unfortunately.
Sorry if I disappointed you.
Everything you said contradicts the conversation(s) I had with three different support reps from Microsoft. The license is transferrable (retail version) and the reps stated that they can see I have the license tied to my account and are seeing an issue not allowing activation for some reason.
I'm asking if anyone else is having a similar issue or knows about this problem that is supposedly "ongoing".