Windows 11 Sandbox does not open File Explorer after a Windows update

Anonymous
2023-10-16T22:33:15+00:00

Hi all,

I have Windows 11 Pro with Sandbox enabled, it worked flawlessly. I didn't use it for a few months, and now the File Explorer inside the Sandbox is crashing.

If I open it from the start menu, or if I press the right button on the desktop or on a file or directory, it turns the screen black for a second or two, and then doesn't do anything (it probably crashes).

This behavior happens only inside the Sandbox (my system is working properly), and I didn't install or remove anything from the system, just did the proposed Windows updates (I now have version 10.2.22621 build 22621).

I can use the command line, and it appears that the file system is intact, I can create, read and write directories and files.

Sandbox is a limited environment, and everything I tried to understand what was going wrong failed. I tried several times to remove the sandbox and perform a clean installation, even manually deleting the image files, but that behavior didn't change.

Do you have any suggestion?

Thank you

Duccio

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-11-06T19:15:28+00:00

It is ultimately just a workaround, but it works for me:
Create a text file that you rename to sandbox.wsb afterwards.
The content of the file must contain the following:

<Configuration>
<MappedFolders>
<MappedFolder>
<HostFolder>C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.WindowsAppRuntime.CBS_8wekyb3d8bbwe</HostFolder>
<SandboxFolder>C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.WindowsAppRuntime.CBS_8wekyb3d8bbwe</SandboxFolder>
<ReadOnly>true</ReadOnly>
</MappedFolder>
</MappedFolders>
</Configuration>

If I start the sandbox with this file, the Explorer also works.

Good luck

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-10-19T22:26:34+00:00

    Mine also doing the same thing, I cant open File Explorer anymore in Windows Sandbox

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Gokul A 770 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2023-10-20T16:19:23+00:00

    I understand that you've already tried various troubleshooting steps but haven't had any success in resolving the issue.

    Try a different user account. Create a new user account on your Windows and enable Sandbox within that account. Check if File Explorer works properly in the Sandbox when using the new user account. This can help to find the issue is related to your user profile.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-10-21T19:55:18+00:00

    I'm having the exact same issue, did anyone find a way to fix it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-10-24T12:42:30+00:00

    Estou tendo o mesmo problema...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments