Windows 11 Sandbox does not open File Explorer after a Windows update

Anonymous
2023-10-16T22:33:15+00:00

Hi all,

I have Windows 11 Pro with Sandbox enabled, it worked flawlessly. I didn't use it for a few months, and now the File Explorer inside the Sandbox is crashing.

If I open it from the start menu, or if I press the right button on the desktop or on a file or directory, it turns the screen black for a second or two, and then doesn't do anything (it probably crashes).

This behavior happens only inside the Sandbox (my system is working properly), and I didn't install or remove anything from the system, just did the proposed Windows updates (I now have version 10.2.22621 build 22621).

I can use the command line, and it appears that the file system is intact, I can create, read and write directories and files.

Sandbox is a limited environment, and everything I tried to understand what was going wrong failed. I tried several times to remove the sandbox and perform a clean installation, even manually deleting the image files, but that behavior didn't change.

Do you have any suggestion?

Thank you

Duccio

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-11-06T19:15:28+00:00

It is ultimately just a workaround, but it works for me:
Create a text file that you rename to sandbox.wsb afterwards.
The content of the file must contain the following:

<Configuration>
<MappedFolders>
<MappedFolder>
<HostFolder>C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.WindowsAppRuntime.CBS_8wekyb3d8bbwe</HostFolder>
<SandboxFolder>C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.WindowsAppRuntime.CBS_8wekyb3d8bbwe</SandboxFolder>
<ReadOnly>true</ReadOnly>
</MappedFolder>
</MappedFolders>
</Configuration>

If I start the sandbox with this file, the Explorer also works.

Good luck

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Gokul A 770 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2023-10-18T19:05:43+00:00

    Thank you for your reply!

    You don't have any corrupted files on your system. Ensure that your Windows is up to date with the latest updates. Go to Settings > Windows Update and click on "Check for updates" to make sure you have the latest version installed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-10-19T11:03:11+00:00

    From your name I guess you're Italian like me, and we probably received the update on the same day (17/10), at least that's when everything stopped working for meπŸ˜….
    I think that it's an issue with the new Explorer and Windows Sandbox, I fear we can only wait for a fix...

    The new explorer address bar changed a lot of things (that's why I disabled it), and SandBox might have issues with the OneDrive integration or another of the new "features", for me it crashes even if I right click the desktop:

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-10-19T13:52:10+00:00

    The system is up to date and there are no more updates to install:

    Edition	Windows 11 Pro 
    
    Version	22H2 
    
    Installed on	β€Ž01/β€Ž06/β€Ž2023 
    
    OS build	22621.2428 
    
    Experience	Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22674.1000.0
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-10-19T14:02:18+00:00

    First of all, tell me immediately how to disabe the new explorer bar, I hate it!! :D

    I also believe it was an update, but a older one. I started having problems a couple of weeks ago. Mine as well crashes if I right click the desktop.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments