Windows 11 Sandbox does not open File Explorer after a Windows update

Anonymous
2023-10-16T22:33:15+00:00

Hi all,

I have Windows 11 Pro with Sandbox enabled, it worked flawlessly. I didn't use it for a few months, and now the File Explorer inside the Sandbox is crashing.

If I open it from the start menu, or if I press the right button on the desktop or on a file or directory, it turns the screen black for a second or two, and then doesn't do anything (it probably crashes).

This behavior happens only inside the Sandbox (my system is working properly), and I didn't install or remove anything from the system, just did the proposed Windows updates (I now have version 10.2.22621 build 22621).

I can use the command line, and it appears that the file system is intact, I can create, read and write directories and files.

Sandbox is a limited environment, and everything I tried to understand what was going wrong failed. I tried several times to remove the sandbox and perform a clean installation, even manually deleting the image files, but that behavior didn't change.

Do you have any suggestion?

Thank you

Duccio

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-11-06T19:15:28+00:00

It is ultimately just a workaround, but it works for me:
Create a text file that you rename to sandbox.wsb afterwards.
The content of the file must contain the following:

<Configuration>
<MappedFolders>
<MappedFolder>
<HostFolder>C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.WindowsAppRuntime.CBS_8wekyb3d8bbwe</HostFolder>
<SandboxFolder>C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.WindowsAppRuntime.CBS_8wekyb3d8bbwe</SandboxFolder>
<ReadOnly>true</ReadOnly>
</MappedFolder>
</MappedFolders>
</Configuration>

If I start the sandbox with this file, the Explorer also works.

Good luck

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-11-06T19:35:32+00:00

    Dietmar,

    Great stuff. The sandbox.wsb file actually works!

    Thanks,

    Alan

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-11-06T18:54:53+00:00

    I found the following instructions in another forum to solve the problem:

    *copy the folder C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.WindowsAppRuntime.CBS_8wekyb3d8bbwe to your Windows Sandbox's Desktop. In the Sandbox, run PowerShell as Administrator. In the PowerShell window, exec the following commands: powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Bypass sc.exe config "TrustedInstaller" start=demand Install-Module -Name NtObjectManager Start-Service -Name TrustedInstaller $parent = Get-NtProcess -ServiceName TrustedInstaller $proc = New-Win32Process powershell.exe -CreationFlags NewConsole -ParentProcess $parent These commands will install the NtObjectManager module to start a new PowerShell window as a TrustedInstaller. So, in the new PowerShell window, exec the following commands: mv C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.WindowsAppRuntime.CBS_8wekyb3d8bbwe C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.WindowsAppRuntime.CBS_8wekyb3d8bbwe_bak mv C:\Users\WDAGUtilityAccount\Desktop\Microsoft.WindowsAppRuntime.CBS_8wekyb3d8bbwe C:\Windows\SystemApps*

    I haven't dared to try it yet because I don't know exactly what is happening with my host system

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-11-06T18:06:43+00:00

    Same problem here...

    It worked just fine and after some time (after an update I think) when I open the explorer in the sandboxed windows it crashes and restart again with no windows of the explorer open in the screen (the process explorer.exe restart itself)

    I just reinstall my windows host OS, from an ISO file, in a new clear partition, and a clear install... and just have the same problem. I thinks maybe it has to be something with a conflict between an update and maybe one driver, hardware component or something. I don't have the chance to try it in other hardware then is just a guess.

    Windows version in the sandbox: 10.0.22621.2506

    Windows version in the host system 10.0.22631.2506

    Hardware is an Asus Rog nvidia gpu intel cpu laptop

    The forum in spanish haven't the issue published, knowing that pardon my english I am not a native english speaker.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-11-03T20:04:10+00:00

    I downloaded the ISO-image of Windows 11 23H2, reinstalled the system while preserving programs and settings.
    Then I updated Windows 11, and now the version is 22631.2506.
    I'm not sure what Microsoft adjusted, but now the Sandbox is functioning properly.
    It opens Explorer and the context menu...

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments