Windows 11 Sandbox does not open File Explorer after a Windows update

Anonymous
2023-10-16T22:33:15+00:00

Hi all,

I have Windows 11 Pro with Sandbox enabled, it worked flawlessly. I didn't use it for a few months, and now the File Explorer inside the Sandbox is crashing.

If I open it from the start menu, or if I press the right button on the desktop or on a file or directory, it turns the screen black for a second or two, and then doesn't do anything (it probably crashes).

This behavior happens only inside the Sandbox (my system is working properly), and I didn't install or remove anything from the system, just did the proposed Windows updates (I now have version 10.2.22621 build 22621).

I can use the command line, and it appears that the file system is intact, I can create, read and write directories and files.

Sandbox is a limited environment, and everything I tried to understand what was going wrong failed. I tried several times to remove the sandbox and perform a clean installation, even manually deleting the image files, but that behavior didn't change.

Do you have any suggestion?

Thank you

Duccio

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-11-06T19:15:28+00:00

It is ultimately just a workaround, but it works for me:
Create a text file that you rename to sandbox.wsb afterwards.
The content of the file must contain the following:

<Configuration>
<MappedFolders>
<MappedFolder>
<HostFolder>C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.WindowsAppRuntime.CBS_8wekyb3d8bbwe</HostFolder>
<SandboxFolder>C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.WindowsAppRuntime.CBS_8wekyb3d8bbwe</SandboxFolder>
<ReadOnly>true</ReadOnly>
</MappedFolder>
</MappedFolders>
</Configuration>

If I start the sandbox with this file, the Explorer also works.

Good luck

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-11-10T17:07:06+00:00

    You're also on en-GB and, as I mentioned, I suspect anything but en-US to work. I could be mistaken, but it's worth trying to figure out.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-11-10T17:01:22+00:00

    Thanks, Windows Sandbox is now working properly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-11-10T12:56:12+00:00

    Here's mine:

    > systeminfo | findstr /B /C:"OS Name" /B /C:"OS Version" 
    
    OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 
    
    OS Version:                10.0.22631 N/A Build 22631 
    
    > Get-WinSystemLocale 
    
    LCID             Name             DisplayName 
    
    ----             ----             ----------- 
    
    2057             en-GB            English (United Kingdom) 
    

    As you can see, I'm using the English version and still have the same problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-11-10T12:27:15+00:00

    all report the same:

    I do see a little difference in the build number: 22621 in yours vs 22631 in mine. Also you're on en-GB (I'm suspecting it to fail on (all?) non en-US). But I'd love to see more data from others.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments