I'm referring to how your computer is crashing and has to be restarted, usually multiple times a day. It's either you or someone is force restarting by switching off the power or pressing the reset button, or the power supply is faulty.
Defrag runs constantly
Win10 64. Defrag runs constantly, grinding away at my hard drives for no reason. The both drives are 0% fragmented, except for system reserved files which are 40% fragmented and defrag will not touch them. The Defrag is OFF, how do I stop the system running defrag every time the PC is idle for more than 60 seconds?? How do I defrage the system files which need defragging?
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
47 additional answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
_AW_ 69,496 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator2023-12-04T21:38:04+00:00 I found the drain, but I am not sure what I can do about it, any ideas?
Could you please explain in what way that instance of svchost is "the drain"?
-
Anonymous
2023-12-05T11:04:51+00:00 I found the drain, but I am not sure what I can do about it, any ideas?
Could you please explain in what way that instance of svchost is "the drain"?
The Disk usage in task manager showed 50% while this was running when the PC was idle, or in use, and slows everything down massively. There has been a marked slow down over the past few weeks, and even with a clean install, I still get these problems. Initially it was with defrag constantly running, now it is Host Process For Windows Tasks.
As sysinternals process explorer shows the path as leading to SysMain, I assume this is a windows bug of some sort.
Even with administrator access, I cannot change the triggers for the process tasks, to stop tasks running constantly. I have run Scandisk, Dism, Autoruns64, etc., but windows just ran something else whenever I managed to disable defrag.
-
_AW_ 69,496 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator2023-12-05T11:14:36+00:00 Could you share an Autoruns log on OneDrive or similar?
- When Autoruns finishes scanning, press Ctrl + S and save the log
- Upload the log to OneDrive
- Post the share link
-
Anonymous
2023-12-06T18:39:03+00:00 Yesterday it started getting worse. I ran a full scan, no bugs, but the antimalware service executable in task manager just kept running, so I rebooted it and a few minutes after I restarted it, it started to 'misfire', HD stop-starting. Stripped the PC, blew it out with an air line, and now it is behaving itself.......
I will give it a few days to see if it comes back, if it doesn't, I guess it was dust bunnies in the PSU, boards, wiring etc.