Defrag runs constantly

Anonymous
2023-11-27T07:50:16+00:00

Win10 64. Defrag runs constantly, grinding away at my hard drives for no reason. The both drives are 0% fragmented, except for system reserved files which are 40% fragmented and defrag will not touch them. The Defrag is OFF, how do I stop the system running defrag every time the PC is idle for more than 60 seconds?? How do I defrage the system files which need defragging?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
_AW_ 69,496 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2023-12-12T02:27:59+00:00

I'm referring to how your computer is crashing and has to be restarted, usually multiple times a day. It's either you or someone is force restarting by switching off the power or pressing the reset button, or the power supply is faulty.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. DaveM121 934.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2023-11-28T08:20:38+00:00

    Where are you seeing the Defrag tool running, i do not see it in those screenshots, perhaps I am missing it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-11-28T08:29:40+00:00

    Where are you seeing the Defrag tool running, i do not see it in those screenshots, perhaps I am missing it?

    4th line "service host disk defragmenter"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. DaveM121 934.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2023-11-28T08:34:54+00:00

    Thank you I see it now.

    Click your Start Button, then just type cmd and on the resulting list, right click Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'

    Paste in this command to Command Prompt and press Enter.

    schtasks /Change /DISABLE /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Defrag\ScheduledDefrag"

    Restart (not shut down) your PC and then check if that stops the Disk Defragment service running.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-11-28T08:57:28+00:00

    Thank you I see it now.

    Click your Start Button, then just type cmd and on the resulting list, right click Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'

    Paste in this command to Command Prompt and press Enter.

    schtasks /Change /DISABLE /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Defrag\ScheduledDefrag"

    Restart (not shut down) your PC and then check if that stops the Disk Defragment service running.

    I cut and pasted the the text which came back with an error, and again without the ""

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments