Defrag runs constantly

Anonymous
2023-11-27T07:50:16+00:00

Win10 64. Defrag runs constantly, grinding away at my hard drives for no reason. The both drives are 0% fragmented, except for system reserved files which are 40% fragmented and defrag will not touch them. The Defrag is OFF, how do I stop the system running defrag every time the PC is idle for more than 60 seconds?? How do I defrage the system files which need defragging?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
_AW_ 69,496 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2023-12-12T02:27:59+00:00

I'm referring to how your computer is crashing and has to be restarted, usually multiple times a day. It's either you or someone is force restarting by switching off the power or pressing the reset button, or the power supply is faulty.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. DaveM121 934.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2023-11-27T09:26:50+00:00

    HI I am Dave, I will help you with this.

    There is a known problem in Windows sometimes where that System Reserved partition appears in the Disk Defragmenter utility, that partition should never be defragmented, it will always be fragmented.

    If you have disabled the defrag schedule, where are you seeing the defragment process running, please provide a screenshot of that.

    Check in the Settings app, do you have any Windows updates pending, if there are, install them, that may remove the System Reserved partition from that defrag utility.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-11-27T15:18:15+00:00

    I have no updates pending.

    It shows defrag in the Task Manager, after Task Scheduler fires up. I do not have a screenshot, I will try again tomorrow..

    If I leave the PC idle for 10 minutes, defrag starts and continues until I move the mouse. It starts everyday and will go on for hours and hours, not helped as the anti malware service executable also starts and runs a scan.

    cheers

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. DaveM121 934.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2023-11-27T16:53:47+00:00

    Click your Start Button and just type task, then open Task Schedular from the resulting list.

    Check in that utility is there is ant scheduled task for the defragmenter and delete it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-11-28T08:08:40+00:00

    Here are the screen shots for the services which run when disabled in "services":-

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments