Windows 11, copying files between hard drives painfully slow

Anonymous
2023-11-07T14:37:48+00:00

Has anyone else experiencing extremely long times for copying one hard drive to another?

I'm trying to copy all the files from a standard 3.5" hard drive to an SSD.

It's almost 1TB of data but the speeds continuosly drop to less than 1MB/s when in safe mode, as running the PC in it's normal mode stalled the copying process with it showing 0KB/s.

I am on the latest version of Windows and with the newest updates with the apparent bug fix.

I am on day 3 of copying these files.

I have tried all the "fixes" that show up on Google and both hard drives have "full control" by myself/all users.

Hoping someone can help.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-04T18:32:51+00:00

    This an issue that is not going away. I too am having challenges with copying and moving files and folders. What used to take me an hour now takes half my day. I have explained this issue to my supervisor and she has let me know that other techs and departments are having the same issue. MS refuses to aknowledge the issue when we bring it to thier attention saying this an equipment issue. All our gear met the quality reqirements and several devices were brand new. Our company is looking at removing win11 from all our systems and going back to Win10. This situation is not teneble.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-07-11T09:25:42+00:00

    you're right Microsoft is Lazy in fixing this issue. Its rubbish.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-07-24T01:08:30+00:00

    Those should have NOTHING to do with file copying from one SSD to another or USB drive to an NVME drive. etc...

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-07-24T01:14:38+00:00

    Add me to this ... I have been looking for a solution for nearly a year now. And it needs to be fixed. Whatever this issue is, it is WINDOWS causing the problem and Microsoft needs to get their backsides in gear and fix it. Waiting for a 100GB file to transfer between 2 separate NVME drives OR JUST make a new copy of the file on the same drive, should not take nearly 2 hours at less than 1MB/s speeds.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-08-10T15:11:55+00:00

    I am copying from a "local" OneDrive folder to a hard drive. These files have not been accessed for a year or two. Copy speed is average 3-5 MB/second.
    I used Task Manager to view Wi-Fi usage (nothing but the copy running) and it is sending less than 1 Mbps but receiving about 50 Mbps So the problem is OneDrive having to sync with the cloud!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments