Windows 11, copying files between hard drives painfully slow

Anonymous
2023-11-07T14:37:48+00:00

Has anyone else experiencing extremely long times for copying one hard drive to another?

I'm trying to copy all the files from a standard 3.5" hard drive to an SSD.

It's almost 1TB of data but the speeds continuosly drop to less than 1MB/s when in safe mode, as running the PC in it's normal mode stalled the copying process with it showing 0KB/s.

I am on the latest version of Windows and with the newest updates with the apparent bug fix.

I am on day 3 of copying these files.

I have tried all the "fixes" that show up on Google and both hard drives have "full control" by myself/all users.

Hoping someone can help.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-05-16T18:08:08+00:00

    I assume O365 is not installed?

    0365?
    What's an 0365?
    Can be ANYTHING.

    If you respond, PLEASE make it clear, as to what you are on about?
    Since, trying to Google that ... I had billions of sites, ranging from phone numbers to version numbers of everything.

    Why do people never be clear?
    It's not hard to do?

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-05-16T23:58:09+00:00

    Didn't see it mentioned but here's the fix that helped me: going into the Network Settings and disabling "Energy Efficient Ethernet" and "Large Send Offload."

    Windows 11:

    1. Go to Settings\Network & Internet\Advanced Settings\
    2. For Ethernet or Wifi (whatever you're using) expand the tab and go to "More Adapter Options" and click "Edit"
    3. in the new window click "Configure"
    4. Go to the "Advanced" tab
    5. Disable "Energy Efficient Ethernet" and the 2 "Large Send Offload" options.
    6. The network will reset but after that you should have faster transfer speeds... at least for a while!

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-05-17T02:55:00+00:00

    I assume O365 is not installed?

    0365?
    What's an 0365?
    Can be ANYTHING.

    If you respond, PLEASE make it clear, as to what you are on about?
    Since, trying to Google that ... I had billions of sites, ranging from phone numbers to version numbers of everything.

    Why do people never be clear?
    It's not hard to do?

    You have a typo in your search term:

    O365 -- aka Microsoft "Office 365" with a capital "O")

    not

    0365 -- starting with zero, which you note is numeric).

    This entire thread, top to bottom, is full of acronyms, lacking elaboration. As most tech posts are.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-06-23T04:14:19+00:00

    I have Windows 11 problems copying, and it's extremely slow, I just installed it today, and my computer is well up to any challenge.

    it has a Gigabyte Z790 motherboard,Intel i9 14900k raptor lake, x2 WD Black NVME 7000mb/s .I copied 510mbs it took 5 minutes this is their flagship is sinking, I might go back to Windows 10

    as anyone fixed this problem yet

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-06-23T08:49:59+00:00

    I had to reinstall Windows, but Windows 10.

    All Windows 11 problems are gone. FIXED.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments